Instagram OAuth failed

Not applicable

Hi , i am new here and wanted to test the instagram API. When i want to Login to Instagram i get the message: {"code": 403, "error_type": "OAuthForbiddenException", "error_message": "You are not a sandbox user of this client"}

1 5 3,356
5 REPLIES 5

Not applicable
@chris wattz

its because of instagram's recent API update -- we'll just have to wait and see 😕

this is because of the recent API instagram changes, we'll have to wait to see if instagram will whitelist Apigee

Is there any update from Apigee on this?

This is an old question, but I'm just seeing it now. The answer by "James Kim, which says "we'll have to wait and see", I think is not quite right. As announced by Instagram in November 2015,

To get out of Sandbox mode, you need to submit your app for review. If your app falls into the approved use cases and gets approved, it will automatically go live. At this point any Instagram user will be able to authorize your app, but you will have access only to the permissions that you were granted during the review.

More information here.

ok, so that tells us that the developer of the app needs to proactively submit the app to Instagram for approval. Now, which app are you using? I think it might be the Instagram API Console which is hosted by Apigee. Is that right? In which case, I do not know if we (Apigee) have submitted it for review. BUT, I think we probably will not do so. Also I doubt that Instagram would approve the app to exit from sandbox mode, since the console is really just for sandbox usage.

If you are using some other app, please advise.

@Julien LaPointe FYI

Not applicable

@Dino

@chris wattz

@Julien LaPointe

I'm testing the Instagram API Console too and I get the same error. At the moment I want to use the Console in the sandbox. I already registered the client and the user in sandbox, but this does not work. Can someone help me?

Is your client request within the scope given to the client? I remember having this problem and it was because the client wasn't given enough permission to access a request (i.e. it was set to basic scope when it should have been public_content for that particular request)