We are already using a monitoring tool whats the easiest way to share apigee data?

Not applicable

In our organisation we are using datadog as a monitoring tool.
We have already invested a great deal of time in it and want to keep using it as our main monitoring point.
So would like to display metrics from Apigee using datadog.
(actually we want the metrics dashboard that exists in Apigee + some more.)

Now I have been searching for a way to pass data from Apigee to Datadog and the people from datadog told me to look into JMX.
I have found a few questions regarding the matter but I have not found an answer.

Is it even possible and if so is there some documentation or information on how its done?

1 3 2,075
3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

@michael.jacquet1 I am assuming that you are talking about the on premise version of Apigee and not the one on our cloud. A very detailed monitoring guide outlining different options including the JMX way should be the part of the Apigee kit itself. What version of Apigee are you running on?

Not applicable

If this is a cloud installation then you have three options:

1. Log the metrics you want to display in DataDog via a ServiceCallout directly to your DataDog log server via a POST to the metrics endpoint.
  2. Use the Message Logging policy to collect the log data to syslog on your infrastructure. Have a DataDog parser then pick metrics up from the log file via a parser.
  3. Create an integration from DataDog that calls the Apigee Analytics API to periodically collect data. This has the advantage of not requiring anything be added to your existing proxy bundles.

Hi @michael.jacquet1 In a Private Cloud (on-prem) installation, Apigee Edge provides a JMX based interface to monitor the system health of various components such as Management Server, Message Processor, Qpid, and Postgre. You can find the documentation in Operations guide. If you are the latest Edge installation (i.e.4.16.05), the documentation is publicly available here. If you are on an older version of Edge, the Operations guide is delivered as part of the Installer kit. Obviously if you are on Apigee Cloud, we monitor the health of these components.

If your question is regarding the API analytics (Dashboard & other analytics on the UI) you can use the Management APIs to pull analytics data from Apigee Edge into Datadog. These APIs are also listed on our doc page.

Hope this helps!