Support for various roles in a developer organization

A developer gets one account with devportal to perform all actions.

When the developer represents a big enterprise how can we differentiate roles - developer, IT admin, business user etc., in DevPortal.

Solved Solved
0 7 287
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Madhan Sadasivam ,

RBAC is available out of the box in developer portal. As you know, Apigee Developer Portal is built on top of famous open source CMS Drupal.

• You can manage roles by navigating to "admin/people/permissions/roles"
  • You can create a new role by navigating to "admin/people/permissions/roles"
  • You can manage permissions by navigating to "admin/people/permissions"
  • You can restrict API Products access by enabling "DevConnect Limit API Product by Role" module in "admin/modules" page & navigating to "admin/config/devconnect/apiproduct-access"
  • You can manage smartdocs access by using "content access" module , see article here that explains same.

Sharing APPs is not available at this point of time in Apigee Developer Portal out of the box. I believe, Enabling Monetization supports company concept & sharing apps in developer portal to some extent i believe.

If your use case is App Management like approval of keys etc / some other workflows related to APPs in developer portal, then you can implement same as customisation feature. We have done for several customers where they can manage APPs & APP Developers using custom admin screens which can be accessed only by certain roles in developer portal.

Multiple Accounts & Multiple Roles is not an issue in Developer Portal , Question is how to enable APP Sharing & Analytics Sharing in developer portal. I am sure, you can implement same using some level of customisation in developer portal. At the end of the day, It’s one super user “Org Admin like role (Dev Admin)” making all API calls from developer portal to Apigee Edge. We just need to build a layer of customisation in developer portal which facilitates APPs sharing & Analytics Sharing. BTB, What do you mean Analytics sharing ? Developer Portal has just App Analytics. I believe it's not a great deal if drupal expert is available to work on Developer Portal.

NOTE: RBAC of Developer Portal & RBAC of Apigee Edge is two separate things. SYNC is not possible due to various issues.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@Madhan Sadasivam ,

RBAC is available out of the box in developer portal. As you know, Apigee Developer Portal is built on top of famous open source CMS Drupal.

• You can manage roles by navigating to "admin/people/permissions/roles"
  • You can create a new role by navigating to "admin/people/permissions/roles"
  • You can manage permissions by navigating to "admin/people/permissions"
  • You can restrict API Products access by enabling "DevConnect Limit API Product by Role" module in "admin/modules" page & navigating to "admin/config/devconnect/apiproduct-access"
  • You can manage smartdocs access by using "content access" module , see article here that explains same.

Sharing APPs is not available at this point of time in Apigee Developer Portal out of the box. I believe, Enabling Monetization supports company concept & sharing apps in developer portal to some extent i believe.

If your use case is App Management like approval of keys etc / some other workflows related to APPs in developer portal, then you can implement same as customisation feature. We have done for several customers where they can manage APPs & APP Developers using custom admin screens which can be accessed only by certain roles in developer portal.

Multiple Accounts & Multiple Roles is not an issue in Developer Portal , Question is how to enable APP Sharing & Analytics Sharing in developer portal. I am sure, you can implement same using some level of customisation in developer portal. At the end of the day, It’s one super user “Org Admin like role (Dev Admin)” making all API calls from developer portal to Apigee Edge. We just need to build a layer of customisation in developer portal which facilitates APPs sharing & Analytics Sharing. BTB, What do you mean Analytics sharing ? Developer Portal has just App Analytics. I believe it's not a great deal if drupal expert is available to work on Developer Portal.

NOTE: RBAC of Developer Portal & RBAC of Apigee Edge is two separate things. SYNC is not possible due to various issues.

The roles I mention would share "apps" and "analytics". So it is about employees of a customer organization managing all the apps they own. Is this doable in some form ?

@Madhan Sadasivam , Sharing APPs is not available at this point of time in Apigee Developer Portal out of the box. I believe, Enabling Monetization supports company concept & sharing apps in developer portal to some extent i believe.

@Madhan Sadasivam , If your query is resolved, Please click on Accept link below answer so that it will be helpful for others too. If not, Keep us posted.

Can you convert your previous comment to answer that way I can accept that as the answer.

@Madhan Sadasivam , Updated the answer with the details in comment.

Developers can be allowed to create several non-prod accounts in DevPortal letting multiple folks in the same developer organization (non-technical term) to have accounts.

One of the accounts can be identified as the prod account and can be managed by the IT admin so that apps and keys can be handled securely.