Metric is_error changed the type of response codes

Not applicable

Hi guys,

In the documentation, about the metric is_error you have:

"The is_error metric defines any message that results in an HTTP 4xx or 5xx HTTP status code"

However, since the beginning of April it seems that you changed the response codes associated with the metric is_error. In the example below, for the code 302 it became classified as error and not success.

Is there any reason for this?

.../environments/prod/stats/response_status_code?"select=sum(message_count),sum(is_error)&timeRange=03/29/2015%2000:00~03/30/2015%2000:00&timeUnit=day"

"dimensions" : [ {
  "metrics" : [ {
	"name" : "sum(is_error)",
	"values" : [ {
	  "timestamp" : 1427587200000,
	  "value" : "0.0"
	} ]
  }, {
	"name" : "sum(message_count)",
	  "timestamp" : 1427587200000,
	  "value" : "21500.0"
	} ]
  } ],
  "name" : "302"
} ]

.../environments/prod/stats/response_status_code?"select=sum(message_count),sum(is_error)&timeRange=04/01/2015%2000:00~04/02/2015%2000:00&timeUnit=day"

"dimensions" : [ {
  "metrics" : [ {
	"name" : "sum(is_error)",
	  "timestamp" : 1427846400000,
	  "value" : "11900.0"
	} ]
  }, {
	"name" : "sum(message_count)",
	  "timestamp" : 1427846400000,
	  "value" : "11900.0"
	} ]
  } ],
  "name" : "302"
} ]

Thanks.

Solved Solved
0 2 254
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable

Hi,

There are some case where the is_error value will be set to true even if the response code is less than 400 and it is if you configured your proxy to handle that particular response as an error (the same can be done to do the inverse, making a code bigger than 400 to be counted as a success).

You can read more about this on http://apigee.com/docs/api-services/content/fault-handling

I hope this helps,

Oscar

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Not applicable

Hi,

I've run some tests, and I'm not able to reproduce 302s showing as errors.

It's hard to tell exactly why this may be occurring for you based upon the information provided. Could you provide your organization and API Proxy that you are seeing this issue with, and I would be happy to look into this further for you as there may be other factors as to why this is happening.

If you prefer not to give out your organization name here, please open a support case via the Apigee Edge Support Portal.

Regards,

Dave

Not applicable

Hi,

There are some case where the is_error value will be set to true even if the response code is less than 400 and it is if you configured your proxy to handle that particular response as an error (the same can be done to do the inverse, making a code bigger than 400 to be counted as a success).

You can read more about this on http://apigee.com/docs/api-services/content/fault-handling

I hope this helps,

Oscar