Steps to develop Apigee Developer Portal in offline mode

When a Drupal developer exports the DB and clones it to their local VM, what are the additional steps to be performed to continue with local development.

Solved Solved
2 3 473
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Great Question @Madhan Sadasivam ,

I always do development offline when it comes to Apigee Developer Portal. Simple reason, development will be faster. Please find steps i follow to do same.

• Clone codebase from pantheon into local machine. I don't use any VM. I have used MAMP to run developer portal locally.
  • Download DB & files (sites/default/files) & create a database in local mysql & import downloaded db, updates sites/default/files folder in local system with downloaded one.
  • Update settings.php to wire up codebase with database
  • Create a local virtual host in local machine using apache settings so that you can access portal using domain name like "dev.mycustomer" in local machine instead of localip:port/mycustomer
  • Update Apigee Edge Connection settings using drush commands
  • Do the code changes & push to pantheon cloud

Only disadvantage that i see with local development is migrating configuration changes which will be stored in db & you can't move the db to cloud instance since both content & config stored in same database.

• Track the config changes
  • Redo same in cloud instance / Use features modules if you have Drupal Expertise.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Great Question @Madhan Sadasivam ,

I always do development offline when it comes to Apigee Developer Portal. Simple reason, development will be faster. Please find steps i follow to do same.

• Clone codebase from pantheon into local machine. I don't use any VM. I have used MAMP to run developer portal locally.
  • Download DB & files (sites/default/files) & create a database in local mysql & import downloaded db, updates sites/default/files folder in local system with downloaded one.
  • Update settings.php to wire up codebase with database
  • Create a local virtual host in local machine using apache settings so that you can access portal using domain name like "dev.mycustomer" in local machine instead of localip:port/mycustomer
  • Update Apigee Edge Connection settings using drush commands
  • Do the code changes & push to pantheon cloud

Only disadvantage that i see with local development is migrating configuration changes which will be stored in db & you can't move the db to cloud instance since both content & config stored in same database.

• Track the config changes
  • Redo same in cloud instance / Use features modules if you have Drupal Expertise.

Does SmartDocs continue to work in offline dev mode as well.

Yes, It works, Forgot one step, you need to update Apigee Edge Connection settings using drush commands.