How to offer a websocket API as part of an Edge-based API suite?

Not applicable

I would like to offer a real-time API that streams a subset of the requests coming to our system. We have an underlying websocket system to do this. I would like to proxy some that system through Apigee Edge, so that it will benefit from its security and monitoring, and so that it can be published as part of the same client-facing package. How can I do this?

I don't see any WS API options in Edge or the documentation. Is the best solution (for now) simply to implement this on my own server and call back to the Apigee management APIs in order validate the developer's credentials before establishing the connection?

Solved Solved
1 6 3,090
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

> I don't see any WS API options in Edge or the documentation. Is the best solution (for now) simply to implement this on my own server and call back to the Apigee management APIs in order validate the developer's credentials before establishing the connection?

Yes, for now, this is the best way. Sorry!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

> I don't see any WS API options in Edge or the documentation. Is the best solution (for now) simply to implement this on my own server and call back to the Apigee management APIs in order validate the developer's credentials before establishing the connection?

Yes, for now, this is the best way. Sorry!

Thanks @Dino. Now here's a dumb question - how do I do an lookup the developer's details on Edge when I only have their API key? Looking at the documentation I don't see any easy way to do that!

I can tell you the answer to that, but only if you ask it in a new question!!

If I answer here, I will get 50 lashes. 😞

@tpearson , Regarding, "lookup the developer's details on Edge when I only have their API key"

See similar questions asked here & here.

Hah, just found a much easier way. I actually don't care about the developers' details. So I just expose an API proxy with the product I want to authorize, that verifies the user's key. If the key is verified, 200, optionally including variables like developer.email, else 401. Then call that API from my own WS server.

Sorry Dino - I hope I don't get lashed for that!

That will work nicely! I think you're not in danger of the lash. Only Apigeeks ....