Skipping the ESB?

Not applicable

While most of the companies I talk to have one or more ESBs in place before adopting Apigee, I've noticed a significant number don't use an ESB at all. If your company doesn't have an ESB, I'm curious: did your company consider an ESB in the past? What made you decide not to pursue it?

3 1 339
1 REPLY 1

This isn't a direct answer to the question, and it's from second-hand experience. -2 points...

But.. I once worked where we had an ESB and were initially using it as the layer that exposed services to the API management layer. Over time they moved away from doing that (I had left by then); when I asked why the answer was that it was just slowing them down. They'd improved their development practices by then, and found that it was easier to build what had previously been done in the ESB from an orchestration/business logic perspective. I would say they were taking steps moving from an Integration-Centric services philosophy to an Application-Centric philosophy, and the ESB simply didn't add value in their newer model.