Is there a Linkage between API on Developer portal and EDGE

As a developer I login to Developer to browse APIs and when I want to subscribe to one I cant do it on the same screen,..In the APPs screen where I subscribe I am not too sure if the product displayed there and the API I browsed are the same..

Is there a way to control that API is Defined and Described the same way on Edge and Developer portal in the same way to avoid errors

Solved Solved
0 7 378
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

As an API provider, you create and deploy API proxies in the Edge management UI. When you want to publish your APIs to developers, you create a API product. An API product is a collection of API proxies combined with a service plan and presented to developers as a bundle. It can also include some metadata specific to your business for monitoring or analytics. Think of API product as a central mechanism for authorization and access control to your APIs.

You developers register apps to access your API products (not API proxies). Typically developers register their apps through your developer portal. However, if you do not use a portal or if you want to maintain complete control over the app registration process, you can register apps by using the Edge management UI. API products created from Edge management UI are synced with the Developer portal. The flow is described here - http://apigee.com/docs/developer-services/content/publishing-overview

View solution in original post

Not applicable

Hi @Vijay Muralitharan,

Apigee provides the tools to generate SmartDocs (in beta as of this writing) for the APIs using WADL and Swagger 1.x. This process of generating SmartDocs is independent of how you define API Products since it relies on whatever you include in the WADL or Swagger 1.x file.

Once SmartDocs are generated, your process could include creating static Drupal landing pages for each API Product. These static Drupal landing pages is where additional information describing the API Product can be provided along with links to the individual SmartDocs pages for APIs that make up that API Product.

As part of this process that you manage, as @sudheendra1 mentioned, we don't put any restriction or regulation, it is up to you to to ensure consistency.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Not applicable
@Vijay Muralitharan

Yes, your understanding here is correct. APIs are grouped together as API Product which is consumed on APP creation.

Developer portal documentation should explain the same on API product and their respective APIs group in it. Sometimes API Product description ( defined from MGMT UI ) will be sufficient while creating an App/Requesting key.

#1 API Product display name and description will be useful to make developer aware of what APIs he/she creating App for. #2 Explicit documentation explaining How APIs are grouped as API Products.

As an API provider, you create and deploy API proxies in the Edge management UI. When you want to publish your APIs to developers, you create a API product. An API product is a collection of API proxies combined with a service plan and presented to developers as a bundle. It can also include some metadata specific to your business for monitoring or analytics. Think of API product as a central mechanism for authorization and access control to your APIs.

You developers register apps to access your API products (not API proxies). Typically developers register their apps through your developer portal. However, if you do not use a portal or if you want to maintain complete control over the app registration process, you can register apps by using the Edge management UI. API products created from Edge management UI are synced with the Developer portal. The flow is described here - http://apigee.com/docs/developer-services/content/publishing-overview

Thanks for the replies

The scenario I was trying to address is

1) API provider creates a Product on EDGE named as APIPROXY123

2) API provider while creating documentation on Developer portal can use the name APIPROXYABC for the same product

Nothing is stopping it from being created,as Consumer would it not be confusing ?

Is there a way to prevent this from happening like a Link or a cross validation with the EDGE?

While creating an API product you provide a name, which is different from the Product display name. This will be the internal name of the product, which is used to link a product between management UI and developer portal. This will let you have different display names, but referring to the same product. Hope this answers your question.

HI Sudheendra

having different Display names on EDGE and Developer portal ,would it not lead to confusion?When the volume of the product grows?

is there a way to regulate this other than ensuring manual controls?

I am not aware of any restriction, but in that case you use the same name (Product Name).

Not applicable

Hi @Vijay Muralitharan,

Apigee provides the tools to generate SmartDocs (in beta as of this writing) for the APIs using WADL and Swagger 1.x. This process of generating SmartDocs is independent of how you define API Products since it relies on whatever you include in the WADL or Swagger 1.x file.

Once SmartDocs are generated, your process could include creating static Drupal landing pages for each API Product. These static Drupal landing pages is where additional information describing the API Product can be provided along with links to the individual SmartDocs pages for APIs that make up that API Product.

As part of this process that you manage, as @sudheendra1 mentioned, we don't put any restriction or regulation, it is up to you to to ensure consistency.