Not able to Login on-premises Edge server

Not applicable

Hi,

I am not able to login to my a/c on-premises Edge server. I have received the following error on the webpage when I enter the credentials,

{"errorInfo":{"operationsStack":[],"extraData":{},"gatewayRequestUrl":null,"gatewayRequestBody":null,"gatewayErrorCode":null,"gatewayErrorMessage":"","errorMessage":null,"gatewayResponseStatus":401,"stackTrace":null,"responseStatus":502}}

I have tried restarting the server and it didn't help.

Can you please let me know the issue?

1 3 1,042
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Panneer,

An HTTP 401 usually means that the credentials were invalid. You can test this with a basic curl call on the management server host:

curl -iu <username>:<password> http://localhost:8080/v1/organizations

You should receive an HTTP 200 response. This will tell you whether you are able to authenticate to the management server and gather information from it. If not, the issue may lie in the management server itself. You can gather more information from apigee4/var/log/apigee/management-server/logs/system.log. If that call works as expected, the issue may lie in the UI. You can gather more information from apigee4/var/log/ui/ui.log.

Hi @panneer selvam,

As @Paul Mibus points out, testing the Management APIs themselves is a great way to narrow this down.

It may come as no surprise that the Apigee Management UI is actually an API-backed application. The UI actually uses a single Admin account for the purposes of authenticating to the Management APIs (which you should not use on a daily basis, and furthermore keep the credentials secure). When you login or perform operations in the UI, your authentication to the Management APIs is essentially proxied through the UI layer, so the API logs will show your account accessed the API in logs. This proxied access behavior requires the Admin account to be configured correctly in ${APIGEE_DIR}/ui/conf/apigee.conf, so to effectively eliminate the UI from the equation, try a direct API call.

So, the message you got might not actually be *your* credentials being input wrong. It's possible your UI config has a problem, as well. I've even seen the worst cases of misconfigured UI config in ${APIGEE_DIR}/ui/conf/apigee.conf cause the Admin account to attempt to authenticate with the Management APIs (using bad credentials) so many times that the account gets locked out and the UI won't render anymore. This is an extreme case, but it highlights the importance of separating the Admin account used for this purpose from the day-to-day accounts used for making Proxy changes, etc.

So try the cURL in Paul's reply to narrow down whether it's UI or the Management APIs themselves. If it's UI, this article might also help you.

I hope this helps. Thanks!

Not applicable

Hi @panneer selvam,

As @Alex Toombs mentions, it is best to create a separate Global System Admin user than the Global System Admin created during the initial install. You can then assign the new Global System Admin user as an 'Organization Administrator' to various Orgs. to manage and administer assets in those Orgs.

Please refer to the response by @Paul Mibus in this thread to learn more about creating new Global System Admin users.