My Experience using Apigee Edge so far. No question. Just sharing my experience...

Not applicable

The Apigee docs invite me to share my experience, which links to here. My experience so far is that I am dependent on their tutorials to not only learn how to use apigee but also WHY anyone would bother using it (and paying for it). Their tutorials have you setup an API proxy with the UI, then the next step tells you that its out of date and it expects that the previous step had your proxy work with Yahoo Weather, which it didn't...so you can't go further in the tutorials because they don't make sense. The samples also use Yahoo Weather but I get responses about invalid credentials and the samples' docs don't provide further insight...making them worthless. No questions. Just my experience. Which apigee invited me to share.

2 7 324
7 REPLIES 7

Thanks for sharing the experience. I'm sorry it sounds like you had a frustrating time of it.

I'd love to be able to help you out, if you're interested.

I am dependent on their tutorials to not only learn how to use apigee but also WHY anyone would bother using it (and paying for it).

Is this a problem? What we try to do with the tutorials is provide materials that help people understand the product, what it can do, how to use it, and what problems it solves. From the way you've written this statement, it seems like you're not pleased about that part. But I think it's our goal.

Their tutorials have you setup an API proxy with the UI, then the next step tells you that its out of date ...

Hmm, I'd really like to understand that better. Can you describe the specific steps you went through, and what you saw? It sounds like it was a surprise, and not in a good way. Interested in troubleshooting it?

...and it expects that the previous step had your proxy work with Yahoo Weather, which it didn't.

OK,it sounds like you experienced another problem. I'm sorry you had the trouble. Maybe if you can describe exactly what you're trying, we can diagnose that specific step. I know you mentioned "tutorials", but specifically what tutorial are you following? Can you link to a web page or set of steps you're going through?

The samples also use Yahoo Weather but I get responses about invalid credentials and the samples' docs don't provide further insight...making them worthless.

I think that Yahoo's weather API has recently been changed. Specifically it now has a different security requirement. We (Apigee) used Yahoo's Weather API repeatedly, in many different examples, and that change in the underlying API has affected all these examples. We've tried to update all of them. It sure sounds like we've missed one, or not updated one. And you're getting tripped up by that mistake of ours. Give me the url and I'll make sure to get it updated.

@phathaway , Thank you for highlighting same and sharing your experience. We completely agree with you & understand how frustrating it is to get stuck at first few minutes of getting started with Apigee documentation.

@Dino , Only Part 1 in Getting Started has right resources to create API proxy. Part 2 onwards they refer to old weather API Proxy. Doc pages, Add Policy, Trace API calls, Monitoring, Create your First API XML , Secure APIs, refer to old weather proxy example.

Somehow my experience has been different. I started working on Apigee around 7 months back. I did not attend any specific training before starting work on apigee, I just refered the online documentation and ran sample examples which are readily available, to learn Apigee. I must say Apigee documentation is really well organized and has helped me great deal to understand and learn apigee faster.

@Sunandita Dam , Thank you for sharing your experience. Recently, docs have been affected due to change of yahoo weather proxy.

@phathaway got very valid points, At present getting started documentation is not complete due to change in yahoo weather proxy endpoint which makes documentation not useful as earlier. We are working on same & soon we will fix same.

adas

@phathaway Looks like the concern is around out dated tutorials and samples that do not work any more. Like @Dino mentioned the Yahoo Weather API was recently deprecated, its no longer a public API and requires authentication. I wrote a post on that specific issue.

So we decided to host our own API endpoint and the docs team has been working on updating the samples and tutorials accordingly. If you can point out specific sections of the tutorials or samples that have issues, we can address them.

@phathaway - Apologies for the snag. I'm in the process of updating the tutorials with the new sample target @arghya das mentions (the one in the very first tutorial). I should have it done within the next few days. Thanks for your patience, and thanks for taking the time to write in!

Not applicable

Thank you for your inputs. In addition to the responses provided, we'll also be sure to incorporate your feedback into our other self service materials we're planning later this year