possible to add proxy transport to UI configuration so it can reach out to the outside world via proxy?

Not applicable

im trying to demo the swagger proxy creation right now - but my datacenters do not allow connectivity to the outside world ... directly.

in my demo location I can reach out via a proxy... but I dont have a clue how to set this proxy on the UI... nor am i 100% sure that it wont break all of the other communications to other components.

That said - i would like to try it. Can someone share this property key ?

0 12 4,255
12 REPLIES 12

Not applicable

Just a side note: AWS allows the use of files: http://swagger.io/getting-started-with-the-amazon-swagger-importer/

@Benjamin Goldman , Would you like to upload a file instead of URL to generate the proxy, if yes, we have swagger2api command line tool if you are interested.

I am aware of that solution. What i want to do is demo the new feature to my management. Hence the specifics in the question. I cannot present a work around as a neat new feature.

I would have thought uploading via a file and not URL would have been the first choice. I'm kinda dissapointed it assumes a URL, in that you have to deploy or get it to a web server to be usable in the Managment UI.

They didnt ask us 😞

@David Ryan @Benjamin Goldman , Completely Agree with you, File Upload is more usable than URL. Let me escalate this feature with the engineering team. Hopefully, it will be available in next release. @Birute Awasthi , @arghya das , Any help here ?

@Benjamin Goldman

I think this feature is in the works. I don't have an exact date but I know we have this feature in the new API Portal that would allow you to store swagger specs in a spec store/doc store and upload them from the store into the UI to generate an API proxy based on the swagger/OpenAPI spec.

Is that what you are looking for ?

I am confused by the title because it seems to suggest you want to run UI via a proxy. Am I missing something ?

@arghya das , See similar question here .

@arghya das there are two problems (3?) that on premise customers will have with this implementation that seem to have been completely overlooked:

1) they are on prem - so they are more than likely behind some sort of best-practice outbound security device- which means that they CANNOT reach out to most public facing ip addresses, urls, etc to grab a swagger.yaml file.

2) they are on prem - so any swagger.yaml files they have the ability to access will live on a private IP address block (10.x, etc)

I am trying to reconcile both of them right now.

What I am seeing, is that i am unable to load swagger.yaml files by URL even if I have them properly hosted on my api backeneds, because these api backends are running in a 10.x address space.

How did I do this? a) i verified that if I put swagger.yaml files on a host that had a fqdn that resolved to a publicly routable IP address that my system just happened to have access to - that they were able to load.

b) put these same swagger.yaml files on some of my existing backend service servers (10.x address space) and got a big error in the UI

c) tried to give the UI the ability to talk to our outbound proxy server so we could maybe demo this feature by calling the petstore.io yaml file (which everyone uses!) w/o having to move it to somewhere that I control - and thats where the whole proxy thing came in.

Upload via the UI is coming. Rather than wait for its dependencies, we shipped URL support in the interim.

Would it be possible to create an API proxy of your internet-proxy using Edge? Then load the spec through there as if it were a normal URL.

Thank you for the update @Marsh Gardiner , I have used http://myjson.com/ to store openApi spec & reference same using URL instead of file in earlier scenarios. We can also useApistudio.io too, & reference spec using URL http://playground.apistudio.io/{SPECIDHERE}/spec pattern.

so this sounds like an interesting way forward - but my internet proxy lives on a 10.x address space. So the ui will immediately refuse to try to process it.

additionally i dont have a clue how I could demo this to management or security as something other than what it is.