Should customers using Pantheon-hosted Drupal apply updates "manually"? or should we wait for Apigee to publish these updates?

I have a Pantheon-hosted Developer Portal site.

Periodically, I get a notice in the drupal admin panels that there are security updates available. It looks like this:

2555-updates-are-available.png

Typically, Apigee will package those updates to Pantheon, and make them available to all Pantheon-hosted sites. Then within the Pantheon admin panel (NOT the Drupal admin panels), it is possible to apply those updates.

Does Apigee encourage or discourage the practice of me installing these updates on my own?

For example, I can download the features module v7.x-2.10, and then git push it to my Pantheon-hosted site.

Surely this will work. The question is, will it present problems for me later on down the road?

Solved Solved
2 2 251
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Great Question @Dino ,

Since they are security related, I would suggest override contributed modules that need updates in your sites/all/modules/contrib directory & flush all caches so that your dev portal picks overridden modules from your sites/all/modules directory.

Should customers using Pantheon-hosted Drupal apply updates "manually"? or should we wait for Apigee to publish these updates?

• If updates are related to security, Yes, Update same manually.
  • If updates are related to new features, i would say wait for Apigee to publish.

Does Apigee encourage or discourage the practice of me installing these updates on my own?

• If it's security related , yes
  • If not , wait for same till Apigee Publishes.

The question is, will it present problems for me later on down the road?

• You need to make sure to remove the overridden module once Apigee catches up with latest version. Otherwise, You need to manually update everytime there is a new version. Find related documentation here in Drupal.org.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Great Question @Dino ,

Since they are security related, I would suggest override contributed modules that need updates in your sites/all/modules/contrib directory & flush all caches so that your dev portal picks overridden modules from your sites/all/modules directory.

• If updates are related to security, Yes, Update same manually.
  • If updates are related to new features, i would say wait for Apigee to publish.

• If it's security related , yes
  • If not , wait for same till Apigee Publishes.

The question is, will it present problems for me later on down the road?

• You need to make sure to remove the overridden module once Apigee catches up with latest version. Otherwise, You need to manually update everytime there is a new version. Find related documentation here in Drupal.org.

OK, thanks Anil!