persistent connection between Edge and backend

banto_78
Participant III

Hi,

i was wondering if Edge could establish persistent connections between itself and the back-end. And if such connections (kind of pool) can be shared across multiple clients requests? Otherwise any time a client request comes a brand new HTTPS should be establish at cost of protocol overhead and latency.

thanks lot.

0 5 684
5 REPLIES 5

Former Community Member
Not applicable

HTTP Keep-Alive settings should help you. You'll find some details in the documentation here: http://docs.apigee.com/api-services/reference/endpoint-properties-reference

@Srinandan Sridhar thanks. I understand the default is already persistent with 1min idle time. One thing i could not find is where is set the connection pool (how many connections can be open and if this is settable).

thanks lot.

Could someone reply to @bantobanto ?

Its very interesting. I have the same question. Coming from datapower world I wonder how the connection pools are managed and how HTTPs handshake happens in case of the Apigee. Does it maintain connection pools? Could someone reply to @bantobanto ?

Not applicable

Apigee maintains connection pools. Its makes the connection for each request and doesn't maintain any session for requests.

Each request tries to connect to the desired backend from the message processor. The queuing concept and load balancing are implemented.

As per my thought Loadbalncing happens between multiple backends, so maintaining the shared connection will not fulfill the same. It evaluates which backend needs to be connected for each request.

If your backend response is not chnaging frequently, then you can use response catche.