Running Apigee Edge on Microsoft Azure

Not applicable

Hi all,

A client is currently looking to run Apigee Edge "on premises". Not really, but let's say it will be a "client-managed" cluster of Apigee Edge, rather than the public Apigee-managed cluster.

Whilst Apigee provide a wealth of support for deployment to an AWS instance, the client is specifically looking to deploy to Azure.

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone has had any exposure to this type of setup?

Secondly, I was wondering what type of support Apigee can provide when using this kind of setup?

I am aware that you should be able to run Apigee Edge on an Azure instance provided you have linux running.

I guess the key here is that I would like to know as much information as possible prior to confidently informing the client that it can be done.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, including any experiences, both good and bad.

Thanks in advance.

2 6 4,810
6 REPLIES 6

Not applicable

Hi @Anthony Arcidiacono,

I have deployed Apigee on Azure on multiple configurations including 1 node, 5 node, 9 node configurations, and it works fine.

This git repo has Azure ARM template that can help you automate deployment of Apigee on Azure.

https://github.com/apigee/microsoft/tree/master/azure-apigee-extension

The git repo has examples for a one node deployment.

I have ARM templates for 5 node and 9 node deployment powered through silent install OPDK configs and Ansible scripts. I am yet to commit those to the GIT, but I can send those samples to you if you are interested in trying them out.

W.r.t. supporting such a deployment it will be similar to any private cloud deployment of Apigee, and should only get better as we are seeing more and more examples of prospects/customers deploying Apigee on Azure infrastructure.

GREAT, Sandeep! I have also installed Apigee Edge on Azure VMs, prior to the existence of these templates. And it worked very well.

@Sandeep Murusupalli, have you had any experience in deploying a 5 or 9 node apigee install across two Azure regions? Do you have guidance on how this works. Are you able to share your 5 node template?

Hi @Sandeep Murusupalli,

Thanks for sharing the Azure setup details.

1st Part of question

I have questions around Server type selection on Azure specific to APIGEE Edge, Analytics and Devportal components. What model we can follow for selection with Azure server e.g. I am looking to pick A type for Devportal and Analytics(Not critical) and D type for Edge.

What cores do you recommend in case of high configuration servers like D type and low server configuration for A type in above example. The intent is to reduce the cost if performance and load is very minimum(2TPS).

2nd part of the question: Is it ok to keep APIGEE Edge in Secure zone as opposed to DMZ as most of my APIs are authenticated with 3 legged authentication where IAM is in Secure zone.

Since I need to make multiple backend calls I believe it would be good to keep API gateway all components not just MP and router in the same zone as Backend services , the secure zone. This will save us from multiple SSL offloading for backend calls made by API's exposed over Edge.

3rd Part of question:

Is azure market place matured enough for production usage.9 Node set up for Prod with just 2tps(in my case) transaction appears to be too high. Any suggestions! Are these images configurable with Core and Memory allocation to test and configure on need based

Thanks

Manish

anjanesh
Participant I

Quick question - is this possible now, post Google's acquisition ?

Microsoft has Microsoft Azure API Management
Amazon has an equivalent service called Amazon API Gateway

So is there still a way to deploy Apigee to our Azure VM ?

You could deploy Apigee Hybrid to AKS