Analytics reports for Business owners

mytre4411
Participant IV

Business owners wants to see the Analytics reports to understand how their business is doing.

I dont think its good idea to login to APIGEE Edge to see Analytics,as APIGEE Edge portal is meant for APIGEE proxy developers.

And Developer portal,I think we need to follow the steps given here by @Anil Sagar.And this is mostly viewed by developers of applications.Please correct me if I am wrong..

So,for business users is there any way they can see the reports?

Solved Solved
1 9 646
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Subbu R

If I understand your use case correctly, you would like to have a way for business owners to log in and see analytics that apply across all or some of your API Proxies? But also that they don't see the API Proxies, Developers & Apps views.

One way you might be able to get a middle ground is by defining a custom role.

As an organization administrator, you could create a custom role (Admin -> Organization Roles) that restricts access purely to Reports, by selecting only the options below:

2190-customrole-reports.png

Then you set your Business Users to only have this new custom role. They will still have menu options in the Apigee UI for APIs & Publish but if they click on them they won't see anything except an error message saying they don't have permissions to view.

If this has answered your question please click the Accept link. Alternatively, let us know if there is any more info we can help with on this topic.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hi @Subbu R

If I understand your use case correctly, you would like to have a way for business owners to log in and see analytics that apply across all or some of your API Proxies? But also that they don't see the API Proxies, Developers & Apps views.

One way you might be able to get a middle ground is by defining a custom role.

As an organization administrator, you could create a custom role (Admin -> Organization Roles) that restricts access purely to Reports, by selecting only the options below:

2190-customrole-reports.png

Then you set your Business Users to only have this new custom role. They will still have menu options in the Apigee UI for APIs & Publish but if they click on them they won't see anything except an error message saying they don't have permissions to view.

If this has answered your question please click the Accept link. Alternatively, let us know if there is any more info we can help with on this topic.

@mschreuder Thats great.Absolutely what I required...Thankyou..

And if we want to give separate portal for business users for reports monitoring purpose alone,then we can expose Analytics as rest APIs and use those APIs in the portal for business users for displaying the analytics..Is this correct understanding?

@mschreuder Thats great.Absolutely what I required...Thankyou..

And if we want to give separate portal for business users for reports monitoring purpose alone,then we can expose Analytics as rest APIs and use those APIs in the portal for business users for displaying the analytics..Is this correct understanding?

@Subbu R essentially yes, you can build your own portal and use our APIs to get the data to display in that portal.

Also, based on your question I would like to share that we are working on a unified, perspective-based user experience for our UI. This will create a set function-specific perspective groups where you will see the things relevant to your function. For example if you are an API Proxy developer you would see the various proxy edit functions. I have passed your question onto the team and they will also be following up.

@Subbu R to be clear, are "business owners" your co-workers in the example you gave?

The Apigee Edge API management UI is meant to support both proxy developers and business analyst types (among others). If you wish to restrict access to the business users so that they cannot edit proxies, that can be accomplished with the technique that Marc outlined. Yes, you could take it a step further and develop your own custom interface just for reports (the power of APIs!), but what would that accomplish specifically for your situation that role restrictions wouldn't? Why is this important to you?

Are there any other role separations you can think of in your organization other than business-type and proxy-developer-type? We're considering how to better offer focused sets of functionality for specific roles, so what other roles would be useful to your team? Any insight you can give is appreciated, thanks!

@Marsh Gardiner

Business users are co-workers.But we dont want them to login into our APIGEE portal.We want to build a portal with look and feel specifically for them with lot of widgets showing the monitoring reports.

Role wise it sounds good for restricting access only to reports to Business users in APIGEE UI.But regarding look and feel ,we wanted to have a separate portal for them.

Not applicable

@Subbu R What types of reports are you thinking about specifically for Business owners?

We have not yet decided on that in our project.But during initial discussion we wanted to know if there can be a separate portal for them for whatever custom reports they are requesting for

mytre4411
Participant IV

Thanks a lot @mschreuder @Marsh Gardiner @Arvind Jain for taking this up and providing more inputs and queries from your side.I am so impressed on how this forum works...