Is there a name for the 'default' or 'shared' cache?

In Edge, you can define an environment-scoped cache in the UI, and you can explicitly create caches with the management API.

But if you *don't* explicitly create a cache, a default org-level cache still exists. This cache doesn't show up in the list of environment caches in the UI, and it's not visible to the management API.

It's apparently available to policies (and Node.js), though.

For example, on the cache policies, there's a CacheResource element that lets you identify the cache to populate/look up/invalidate. If you don't include this element in a policy, the policy supposedly works on the 'default, shared' cache. (In Node.js, you apparently reference the shared cache with the name 'undefined').

So the big question is, is there an explicit name for the 'default' or 'shared' cache (like 'undefined' in Node.js)? For example, if I wanted to clear that cache with the management API, what name would I use?

Solved Solved
0 6 988
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

The default cache cannot be managed using the management API. This is the primary motivation for creating a named cache.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

For the default system cache we don’t require a “name” for the cache resource.The <CacheResource> tag is “optional” field.

You can manage the default system cache via OOTB caching policies but not management API calls.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

The default cache cannot be managed using the management API. This is the primary motivation for creating a named cache.

Not applicable

For the default system cache we don’t require a “name” for the cache resource.The <CacheResource> tag is “optional” field.

You can manage the default system cache via OOTB caching policies but not management API calls.

Thanks, Naveen. So by manage the default system cache via policies, do you mean that by not including the CacheResource element, the policy works on that cache automatically? So no specific name to be used?

Not applicable

Not applicable

Not applicable

Looks like the name of the default/shared cache is globalCache on which you cannot operate using management APIs , thats what I see in heapdumps with the path

/org/$orgname/env/$envname/caches/null .