What is the relationship between the app status and the individual product statuses?

Not applicable

When managing an application, there is the status of the application and the status of the individual products assigned to that application.

You can see this in the hierarchy in a previous question, https://community.apigee.com/questions/13422/revoke-application-at-the-product-level.html.

app = {
  "name": "My App",
  "status": "approved",
  "credentials": [
    {
      "apiProducts": [
        {
          "apiproduct": "My Product",
          "status": "revoked"
        }
      ]
    }
  ]
}

If there are multiple products, some of which are approved, others revoked, others pending, what is their relationship to the status of the app? What changes to the underlying products affect the status of the app?

1980-screen-shot-2016-02-16-at-82345-am.png

Thanks for your help.

Nik

Solved Solved
1 5 659
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable

Hi @nlinsteadt

Some context -

Think of an App having a direct association with one or more products.

Behind the scenes there is a 1:1 mapping between the apikey of that app with the product.

So one apikey (of that app) can be mapped and marked as approved to multiple products at a given point of time.

If there are multiple products, some of which are approved, others revoked, others pending, what is their relationship to the status of the app?

Ans - It means that for that particular app (apikey) the product is marked as being approved,revoked or pending. Status of an app applies to an entire app. Lets say that the entire app is revoked, even if there are approved products, it means nothing as the apikey itself is not valid any more.

What changes to the underlying products affect the status of the app?

Ans - Nothing. Changes in the status of a app(apikey) to product has no effect on the overall status of an App. For eg - if a particular product is revoked for the app, this does not change the status of the entire app.It just unmaps the key from that particular product, the apikey is still very much valid.

I hope this helps!

-Vinit

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Not applicable

Hi @nlinsteadt

Some context -

Think of an App having a direct association with one or more products.

Behind the scenes there is a 1:1 mapping between the apikey of that app with the product.

So one apikey (of that app) can be mapped and marked as approved to multiple products at a given point of time.

If there are multiple products, some of which are approved, others revoked, others pending, what is their relationship to the status of the app?

Ans - It means that for that particular app (apikey) the product is marked as being approved,revoked or pending. Status of an app applies to an entire app. Lets say that the entire app is revoked, even if there are approved products, it means nothing as the apikey itself is not valid any more.

What changes to the underlying products affect the status of the app?

Ans - Nothing. Changes in the status of a app(apikey) to product has no effect on the overall status of an App. For eg - if a particular product is revoked for the app, this does not change the status of the entire app.It just unmaps the key from that particular product, the apikey is still very much valid.

I hope this helps!

-Vinit

Thanks, Vinit. Very helpful. A follow on question. I have an app that had an additional product was added to it. The app shows as pending now, even though all the products previously assigned were set as approved. Is the API key still valid and usable in this case even though the status of the app is pending? I ran a test and the pending app still runs API calls against the approved product.

But when revoking a product when another exists already that's approved, the entire key is revoked for all product associations at the app level even though a product exists that's approved. This is confusing at best.

This is confusing at best.

We agree! It's confusing. But recently we released a new UI capabilities, that allow you to see and edit the status of apps, products, and credentials.

Please see this article for an overview of the new UI features.

Did you find a solution to this? I am facing the same problem and all the Products linked to the App have the same set of credentials. Revoking one products, changes the status of the App too.

hi - this is a three-year old question, and it has been resolved. I think you have a related question, but you need to ASK A NEW QUESTION.

DO Not ask new questions in the comments attached to accepted answers of 3-year old questions. Just ask a new question.