Global fault logging

Not applicable

I need a way to list all faults (with details) happening on the platform. Adding logging policies to all proxies is not a good solution for two reasons:

1. It's not DRY.

2. It does not report faults in non-proxy contexts. For example, if a documentation lists a non-existing path and consumers get "404s", we, as operators of the platform, never see the issue on our side.

The Error Analysis Dashboard does not help here, either. (Does it??)

Since we're on-premise, we have access to logs and databases, so if there's anything that does log the details, we can query that. I just need to know where to look 🙂

Solved Solved
1 3 364
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

adas
Participant V

@Morris Brodersen Since you are on-premise, the best place for you to find out this information would be the analytics database.

A sample query would look like this:

select ax_edge_execution_fault_code, ax_edge_is_apigee_fault, response_status_code, gateway_source,target_response_code,ax_mp_host,count(1) from analytics."myorg.prod.fact"  where client_received_start_timestamp > '2015-12-11' group by ax_edge_execution_fault_code, ax_edge_is_apigee_fault, response_status_code, gateway_source,target_response_code,ax_mp_host	

ax_edge_execution_fault_code should have the fault code like this:

messaging.adaptors.http.configuration.InternalServerError

Hope this works for you.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

adas
Participant V

@Morris Brodersen Since you are on-premise, the best place for you to find out this information would be the analytics database.

A sample query would look like this:

select ax_edge_execution_fault_code, ax_edge_is_apigee_fault, response_status_code, gateway_source,target_response_code,ax_mp_host,count(1) from analytics."myorg.prod.fact"  where client_received_start_timestamp > '2015-12-11' group by ax_edge_execution_fault_code, ax_edge_is_apigee_fault, response_status_code, gateway_source,target_response_code,ax_mp_host	

ax_edge_execution_fault_code should have the fault code like this:

messaging.adaptors.http.configuration.InternalServerError

Hope this works for you.

Thanks a lot, very helpful! By the way, just found a "bug" in there - whenever a proxy uses context.setVariable( 'target.url' ); in a JS policy, *that* url is stored in the request_uri column. However it should only affect the target_url column in my eyes. I cannot reconstruct the original request url 😞

Also, I'm curious why this use case is not covered by the edge administration UI. Are you planning to add this to the platform?

im still pushing for more and better logging capabilities so we can handle these issues outside the analytics flow.