Do you have comments enabled in your developer portal?

Not applicable

We're getting ready to release our developer portal for some beta testing. For people using the developer portal with a community of developers, do you have comments enabled? Have you found this to be helpful?

0 5 403
5 REPLIES 5

sarthak
Participant V

@José Cedeño Yes you can enable comments very easily on the dev portal.

Go to the type of content for which you want to enable comments. Eg. to enable comments on content type article go to Admin Menu->Structure->Content Types->Article. You will have a URL structure like this: admin/structure/types/manage/article.

1844-comments-pixvy.png

Then scroll down and you will see the comments toe section. Enable and configure it according to your liking.

Remember to moderate comments from Admin Menu->Content->Comments.

1845-moderate-comments.png

Now coming back to your question about what we have seen to work, that is very difficult to tell. It widely varies from customer to customer depending on the nature of the API program,target audience, maturity of the API market in that domain etc.

I would say if you think this can add value no harm in enabling it. And if you face issues later simply disable it.

Good luck.

Thanks for the pictures and detailed information on how to enable / disable comments. You are right that it doesn't harm to leave the comments enabled right now (as they are by default) and disable them if there are any issues.

@José Cedeño

Here is my take on same after implementing several developer portals for many customers,

I will enable same for following content types,

• Blogs
  • Any other custom content type where i think end user participation is required.

I will avoid enabling comments on smartdocs / any other content types, I will use forums feature for developer engagement. Please create forum topics as per need for discussions.

I appreciate the feedback and insight provided. I actually disabled the forums and blogs. We have wordpress in our organization, so I just used the aggregator module to pull in the rss feed. We use Drupal quite heavily, so I applied our theme. Theming the Drupal forum was more work than I could do for our first release, so I delayed it.

The other thing that I'm not sure about is whether or not a forum is the right place or method for us to engage with our developer community. People within our audience use google groups and slack / hipchat. We may end up using one of those methods to keep the developer portal simple.

Hi,
Thanks for sharing, it was informative. We play a small role in upskilling people providing the latest tech courses.
Join us to upgrade on <a href=" https://www.gologica.com/course/apigee/

"> APIGEE  Training

</a>