How many KeyValueMaps do you have?

Not applicable

What are some best practices around the use of KeyValueMaps? Do you use one per proxy or one KeyValueMap for all your sensitive credentials? What are the pros/cons of having multiple KeyValueMaps?

Solved Solved
0 5 136
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jose.cedeno .. KeyValueMaps have different scopes - proxy,environment and organizations. Depending on the type of data you want to store you should decide what scope is most applicable to it and create the KVM with the least scope.

I don't think I have heard about any best practice about how many KeyValue Maps you should have. Unless you have some insane number of KVMs like thousands of different KVMs I think you are good.

But overall I follow the following two best practices:

1. If the data is dumb i.e. simple key-value will use KVM. But if the data is a bit more complex and a little more query able use BaaS for the data.

2. Use Vault for storing sensitive information like passwords/shared secrets etc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @jose.cedeno .. KeyValueMaps have different scopes - proxy,environment and organizations. Depending on the type of data you want to store you should decide what scope is most applicable to it and create the KVM with the least scope.

I don't think I have heard about any best practice about how many KeyValue Maps you should have. Unless you have some insane number of KVMs like thousands of different KVMs I think you are good.

But overall I follow the following two best practices:

1. If the data is dumb i.e. simple key-value will use KVM. But if the data is a bit more complex and a little more query able use BaaS for the data.

2. Use Vault for storing sensitive information like passwords/shared secrets etc.

Thank you. This answered my question!

@José Cedeño If any answer suits your needs please accept that answer for the benefit of the future readers of the post.

@sarthak

I looked for the "Accept" button or link, but I didn't find it in the page 😞 . Does it have a new name? I only have: "Add comment, Reward user, Hide, Share and Report".

akoo

Hello all, I wanted to add an important note: encrypted KVMs are here. Details are in our documentation: http://docs.apigee.com/api-services/reference/key-value-map-operations-policy . You now have an option for encrypted data without having to use Node.js.