Are SANs needed for my certificates?

If we use a CName to point api.mydomain.com to myorg-prod.apigee.net, will we need to add a Subject Alternative Name (SAN) field to our api.mydomain.com certificate (indicating myorg-prod.apigee.net as the additional name)?

0 1 475
1 REPLY 1

Hi @WILLIT51,

I highly doubt your signing authority will allow you to add an X509 SAN name for a domain you don't own control of, like apigee.net.

I see where you're going with this, though. I'm guessing you want to (a) use both "api.mydomain.com" AND "myorg-prod.apigee.net" via HTTPS, and (b) you do not support SNI on the client-side?

Assuming (a) and (b) above are accurate, the easiest way to accomplish this is going to be for you to get a cert with CN=api.mydomain.com (plus any X509 SAN names you want to add), and then internally we will create a separate hostalias simply for the purposes of the CNAME. This would look something like myorg-prod-01.apigee.net, and that name would only exist for the purposes of setting up CNAME of api.mydomain.com =CNAME=> myorg-prod-01.apigee.net. This leaves myorg-prod.apigee.net untouched and available to answer via HTTPS, while myorg-prod-01.apigee.net would point to your custom certificate for api.mydomain.com.

Does this make sense? I actually got a hint that this question was coming from my colleague @clatimer1, so if there's a more detailed/sensitive conversation you wish to have on this topic, we can arrange that as well.

Thanks!