Error with special character in password

My apigee edge account password has special character colon ':'. Now, while making apigee management call facing issue that its says invalid credentials. Both with postman calls or CURL command.

What could be the problem?

Solved Solved
3 10 1,977
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Not applicable

Hi @Sonali I just wanted to follow-up to let you know that the 3rd party framework has now been updated and ":" in password is now working.

View solution in original post

Hi @Sonali I just wanted to follow-up to let you know that the 3rd party framework has now been updated and ":" in password is now working.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Not applicable

Hi @Sonali

Have you tried with header -H "Authorization: Basic ****" using the base64 encoded string ?

Yes we had I tried that also. Facing same issue.

Hi @Sonali we have been investigating and have identified that this is being caused by a bug in a 3rd-party framework that we use. We will be updating that framework in a forthcoming release but we do not have a specific schedule for when that will be complete.

In the meantime the workaround is to change your Edge account password to use other special characters instead of ":".

If this has answered your question, please click "Accept". This will also help others searching for answers on the same in future.

@mschreuder

Thanks a lot. This completely suffice to get my issue.

Not applicable

@mschreuder Thanks for the update!

simonxuan
Participant II

Hi, I found this thread when trying to post my question. Please excuse my attempt of trying to tag on to this tread. I am having the same issue using "!@#$" in my APIGEE_ADMINPW during the private cloud setup. Now I cannot verify the "gateway" pod is working via curl command, neither can I use the "apigee-service edge-management-server change_sysadmin_password" command to update the password. Both returned the error of "-bash: !@#$: event not found". Does it sound like the same 3rd part bug you mentioned? Is there a work-round to "escape" the password string to complete the change without rerunning my whole 12-node installation? Thanks.

No, it does not sound like the same problem.

This time it's conventions and rules of working with special characters in Linux CLI/bash.

You can use single quotes (') to "escape special characters like !.

It is a bad security idea to use password in-the-open anyway.

You can put your password into .netrc file and then use -n option of curl to not expose it openly.

@ylesyuk Thanks a lot for the tips on the special char escaping and .netrc file. I will try it.