Types of backend services and API clients

Not applicable

Hello all,

Sorry for the beginners question.

Could you please help me understand the main functionality and purpose of Apigee products.

Namely,

1) is it designed for / possible to expose non-HTTP[s] backend service using Apigee APIs and proxies?

2) are any other than HTTP[s] clients currently supported, (e.g. MQTT)?

Thank you!

0 2 2,393
2 REPLIES 2

Dear @Sergey Shcherbakov ,

Great Question, Welcome to Apigee Community 🙂

Regarding,

1) is it designed for / possible to expose non-HTTP[s] backend service using Apigee APIs and proxies?

Apigee Edge platform is lot more than exposing a simple proxy. As you said, it can be non-HTTP(s) like SOAP etc or even HTTP(S) APIs. We call it as an Intelligent API Platform. Apigee deals with entire digital value chain.

Apigee Edge consists of three Main Services,

API Services:

• API Gateway, Build Proxies, Add Logic, Secure, Cache, Scale, Traffic Managment , Mediation etc.
  • Out of the box 30 policies, Extensions using which you can add security, traffic management, message transformation to your APIs.

Developer Services:

• Helps you onBoard Developers
  • Apigee Developer Portal - Create App, Access Documentation, Get Keys, Community, Blog, Forums
  • Monetize

Analytic Services:

• Track API Usage
  • Developer Usage
  • Custom Reports, Dashboards
  • Intelligent Analytics

For more details, please refer similar question asked here / Get Started with Apigee docs here.

2) are any other than HTTP[s] clients currently supported, (e.g. MQTT)?

See similar question asked here.

Thank you for the prompt answer, Anil.

HTTP is used as SOAP transport often. HTTPS is also "HTTP based" in my terms.

So for both questions I take away that the Apigee currently supports _only_ HTTP-based protocols both on the client and on the backend service side.

Interesting, what about WebSocket (which is routable via usual HTTP channels)?