api proxy's revision implementation

its kind of an architectural question, i see revisions are associated to an api proxy and not to an environment with in api proxy, there must be a reason for this setup with in apigee which i am not sure about, what a best possible way to implement is to have revision with in each environment, let me know if this is right way to have it in apigee as new feature/enhancement ?

Solved Solved
0 3 428
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Not applicable

You can always save a proxy as a new revision. Then, you have the option of deploying that revision to either environment. When you click on the Revision button, it will show all of the revisions for the proxy as well as which revision is deployed to which environment.

View solution in original post

An org can have different environments and the apiproxy can be deployed to any environment. The revisions of an apiproxy is basically comparable to a version of an application that can be deployed to many environments.

So, for e.g. an org 'abc' can have , say 2 environments, prod and test. 'abc' org has 2 apiproxies 'test' and 'sample'.

apiproxy 'test' can have as many revisions so rev1 can be deployed to prod and rev2 can be deployed to test env. or the same revision 1 can be deployed to both prod and test environment.

Apiproxy here can be thought of as an application that has different versions deployed to different environments.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

You can always save a proxy as a new revision. Then, you have the option of deploying that revision to either environment. When you click on the Revision button, it will show all of the revisions for the proxy as well as which revision is deployed to which environment.

thanks @Michael Malloy @Divya Achan for the reply, but let say we want to improve proxy 'abc' and deploy to prod new version with base url /v2/... (versioning), with that we also want to make sure running the '/v1/...' older version until all the developer switches to new version, what we are doing is we create new proxy from older /v1 and change the base path to /v2, in that way we have two proxy's running on prod with two base path...can you plese let us know if that's the right practise? how to handle this situation in better way? I am not sure if that's even possible deploying two revision (v1, v2) to single environment, appreciate your answer.

An org can have different environments and the apiproxy can be deployed to any environment. The revisions of an apiproxy is basically comparable to a version of an application that can be deployed to many environments.

So, for e.g. an org 'abc' can have , say 2 environments, prod and test. 'abc' org has 2 apiproxies 'test' and 'sample'.

apiproxy 'test' can have as many revisions so rev1 can be deployed to prod and rev2 can be deployed to test env. or the same revision 1 can be deployed to both prod and test environment.

Apiproxy here can be thought of as an application that has different versions deployed to different environments.