Role in APIGEE API Management- Project perspective

mytre4411
Participant IV

I am seeing people who are from Java/J2EE background is good at API and API Management,end to end REST enablement- Architect role.

I would like to know which kind of role is suitable for a person from non-java background to work in APIGEE API Management.

Solved Solved
1 9 1,006
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Subbu R ,

Let me share my observation on same,

• Java / J2EE is not must to excel API Management / Rest Enablement. It's just one language out of many others.
  • Any programming language expertise is good enough to master API Management.
  • When you talk about REST Enablement , Javascript / JSON knowledge is great to have. Node.JS expertise will be an Add-On
  • For Example, In Apigee Edge, you can write extensions using either JavaScript / Python / Java
  • After all, APIs are language of things. You can consume using any language.

Just FYI, I came from PHP Background & last time i had my hands on Java/J2EEE is when i was in my college 🙂

View solution in original post

mpurwar
Participant IV

@Subbu R

My 2 Cents --

• Besides the API developer role, which the above 2 folks have shared. You can also have a role of Apigee Architect for a project having an On-Prem installation of the Apigee platform. But you will have to grasp quite a bit knowledge about different components (Linux, Cassandra, ZooKeeper, NoSQL, Postgres, etc.) running the Apigee platform underneath.
  • Apigee Administrator for a Apigee SaaS based project.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

In my opinion, any role. I've managed to avoid having to do any significant Java/J2EE work throughout my career and would be comfortable in any position on an API project using Apigee.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question, though. What sort of background are we talking about?

I am from Electronics and Communication background entering into IT.Have little bit of knowledge in Java,node.js,Javascript .I am self learner of APIGEE API Management.As I dont want to learn deep into Java,J2EE ,I asked this question to understand how far I can go in API Management,only upto developer or even can reach Architect role...But all your answers are positive and motivating..Thankyou...

@Subbu R ,

Let me share my observation on same,

• Java / J2EE is not must to excel API Management / Rest Enablement. It's just one language out of many others.
  • Any programming language expertise is good enough to master API Management.
  • When you talk about REST Enablement , Javascript / JSON knowledge is great to have. Node.JS expertise will be an Add-On
  • For Example, In Apigee Edge, you can write extensions using either JavaScript / Python / Java
  • After all, APIs are language of things. You can consume using any language.

Just FYI, I came from PHP Background & last time i had my hands on Java/J2EEE is when i was in my college 🙂

Wow..Thats great..Given me positive spirit and motivation that anyone can excel in API Management 🙂

mpurwar
Participant IV

@Subbu R

My 2 Cents --

• Besides the API developer role, which the above 2 folks have shared. You can also have a role of Apigee Architect for a project having an On-Prem installation of the Apigee platform. But you will have to grasp quite a bit knowledge about different components (Linux, Cassandra, ZooKeeper, NoSQL, Postgres, etc.) running the Apigee platform underneath.
  • Apigee Administrator for a Apigee SaaS based project.

Thanks..But I thought APIGEE Architect is someone who designs APIGEE Proxy flows,gives best solution on the Proxies,analyse the systems involved in project landscape and provide proper API proxy advice,adds benefits with monetisations,analytics etc,.Your first point seems to be more of APIGEE internals.I think its more of APIGEE Operational Service role...Correct me if I am wrong.

When we say APIGEE Architect,what are the responsibilities?

Yes, you are correct. Roles i suggested are from Operational perspective.

There are API Architect roles, who do the design work as described by you. As Apigee is an API management platform, so we have to draw lines between the 2 from an organization's perspective.

I think you should look at an API Architect role that would include defining API platform agnostic aspects for APIs like the security policies, consistent design flows, caching mechanisms, monitoring, analytics, etc.

Hope this clears it out. 🙂

Thanks for your explanation ...

@Subbu R , If your query is answered, you can mark Answer as best answer by clicking on Accept link below the answer. It does two things, it will help others identify best answer easily & reward user who answered your query. thank you 🙂