Why save as new revision appears?

When I try to save a proxy sometimes a popup comes to "Save as New revision". I understand why it comes but do not fully understand the business logic behind when it happens. I have seen cases where it seems to have happened without a rename or deletion of anything. And in other times I have seen it NOT happen when I have deleted or renamed anything.

So, either my understanding of this behaviour is flawed or there is some bug.

Assuming it's the first, can someone explain the exact logic which sits behind this behaviour?

Solved Solved
0 2 519
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have just done some checks as well to see options, here is a log of what I experienced:

1) When I made a change to a revision deployed to prod environment:

1.1) If I added a new policy or changed an existing policy (e.g. changing the display name in a policy, changing a flow name, changing spike arrest rate), I got a warning:

1445-20151104-savechange1.png

If I click Save it does save successfully and, of course, because I'm saving a change to a proxy deployed to prod, it is changing it directly, so the change is live in prod immediately.

1.2) Specific case, if I changed the actual policy name, i.e. not the display name, instead I got below dialog box:

1444-20151104-savechange2.png

When clicked "Save" the save failed with an error.

1.3) Specific case, if I deleted a script, I got the same dialog box as immediately above with the note that the changes will not be persisted. Clicking save showed a successful save and at first it appeared the script had been deleted but on reloading the revision, the script was back.

2) When I made a change to a revision not deployed to prod (whether deployed to other non-prod environments or not deployed at all:

2.1) When the change was like in 1.1 this time it just saved, without any dialogue box.

2.2) When the change was like in 1.2, I got the same dialog box like in 1.2 and the save failed with an error like in 1.2.

2.3) When the change was like in 1.3, again I got the same dialog box like in 1.2 and the same behavior with the script appearing to be deleted but reloading showed it again.

3) In a specific case where I clicked to delete a policy that was attached to a flow I got another dialogue box:

1448-20151104-savechange3.png

In this case, clicking Detach and Delete did not work, the policy remained attached and not deleted.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I have seen this behaviour if there was a resource file (JavaScript, Java, or Python) in the API proxy and you deleted it before you hit Save. I have not seen this in other cases. But you mentioned that you did not delete anything, so I am just curios if there is any other reason behind this behaviour.

I have just done some checks as well to see options, here is a log of what I experienced:

1) When I made a change to a revision deployed to prod environment:

1.1) If I added a new policy or changed an existing policy (e.g. changing the display name in a policy, changing a flow name, changing spike arrest rate), I got a warning:

1445-20151104-savechange1.png

If I click Save it does save successfully and, of course, because I'm saving a change to a proxy deployed to prod, it is changing it directly, so the change is live in prod immediately.

1.2) Specific case, if I changed the actual policy name, i.e. not the display name, instead I got below dialog box:

1444-20151104-savechange2.png

When clicked "Save" the save failed with an error.

1.3) Specific case, if I deleted a script, I got the same dialog box as immediately above with the note that the changes will not be persisted. Clicking save showed a successful save and at first it appeared the script had been deleted but on reloading the revision, the script was back.

2) When I made a change to a revision not deployed to prod (whether deployed to other non-prod environments or not deployed at all:

2.1) When the change was like in 1.1 this time it just saved, without any dialogue box.

2.2) When the change was like in 1.2, I got the same dialog box like in 1.2 and the save failed with an error like in 1.2.

2.3) When the change was like in 1.3, again I got the same dialog box like in 1.2 and the same behavior with the script appearing to be deleted but reloading showed it again.

3) In a specific case where I clicked to delete a policy that was attached to a flow I got another dialogue box:

1448-20151104-savechange3.png

In this case, clicking Detach and Delete did not work, the policy remained attached and not deleted.