Feasibility of creating Widget in Developer Portal

Not applicable

Wanted to know some information about the feasibility of creating widgets in the APIGEE developer portal.

Does Developer portal provides any functionality through which we can create widgets which can then be downloaded or integrated with a third party website. And the widget will eventually be talking to the backend API's hosted on the Apigee Edge to populate the data.

0 7 171
7 REPLIES 7

Not applicable

Hi @Vinita

Yes..you will be able to add your widgets in developer portal and make them downloadable.

For e.g tweet button, which is a code snippet with tweet feature.

<a class="twitter-share-button"
  href="https://twitter.com/intent/tweet">
Tweet</a>

This can be added in Devportal documentation/widget page to allow developers to start using it.

In the case of downloadable widgets, which needs to compressed folder of files( may include js/css and relevant library),

In Drupal, you can create a content type( widget ) with files field and configure the files for public/private depends on your need. Create widget content and upload the downloadable files with it and publish on the portal.

I hope I have answered what you are looking achieve here, Please feel free to elaborate if my understanding is wrong here.

Wanted to understand if we'll be able to create widgets in dev portal or outside dev portal using Drupal?

Yes the idea is to provide our widgets to app developers to download and consume.

Also for creating widgets in Drupal, have seen following approaches:

1) The easiest way to do is by adding Iframe Module. Reference for using Iframe : https://www.drupal.org/project/iframe

2) Another way is : Creating own iFrame-ready Widgets with Views and Templates Here is the Refererance for doing the same with little PHP coding in Drupal. https://www.drupal.org/node/1356116

Is it the way we need to create it in Drupal and include in Dev Portal?

Yes @Vinita, You can use any of these methods and publish the widgets.

However the feature/functionality of the widget by leveraging the apis, needs to be defined and build irrespective of the method of publishing on Drupal .

If I understand it correctly .. Its possible to expose / publish widgets created using Drupal, on Dev Portal and not create or build them thru dev portal.

Also the API's that the widget will be consuming will be explicitly integrated with Drupal widget.

@Vinita , yes , you can able to do same in apigee developer portal.

You need little bit of Drupal expertise to do same. Easy way to provide widgets is using out of the box blocks concept in Drupal.

If you would like to serve dynamic content in widgets take a look at views , content types , blocks features in Drupal

If I understand it correctly .. Its possible to expose / publish widgets created using Drupal, on Dev Portal and not create or build them thru dev portal.

Also the API's that the widget will be consuming will be explicitly integrated with Drupal widget.

@Vinita , If it's a static html , you can configure / build using dev portal. If it's dynamic content, you need to implement same using drupal modules. Please let us know what exactly do you mean by "widget". More details will help to clarify better.