How to increase io.timeout.millis value. This is to troubleshoot Bad gateway 504 error

Not applicable

Request for a step by step guide to make this property change to the target endpoint using Apigee GUI.

--SF909839--

0 6 1,132
6 REPLIES 6

jhans

Hello,

You can increase the timeout using the following link:

http://apigee.com/docs/api-services/reference/endp...

Let me know your email I will send a sample apiproxy.

Not applicable

Can you clarify what this is related to? 'Bad gateway 504 error' is a confusing one liner as it implies multiple things (that the gateway is bad, and that it was also eliciting a 504 error which is a timeout...)

Not applicable

When we are testing using our target URL (bypassing Apigee), we are not seeing any issue. But when we are testing through Apigee, getting 504 Bad gateway after one minute. Email Id is nani127@gmail.com

Thank you for your response.

adas

@rvellanki Can you tell me your org name ? I am assuming your have an Apigee Edge free account, is that correct ?

Typically, the timeouts are set to 60 seconds on our runtime components, so you might see calls returning 504 after 60 seconds. Does your backend take more than 60 seconds to respond ? The timeout is usually set in tapering fashion (load balancer (60)>router(58)>message-processor(55), and for the trial accounts this is not something that we can change on-demand. If you are a paid customer, or have an on-premise installation then this can definitely be modified to suit your needs.

hi @arghya das i observed the same for an production API yesterday, where backend API ran successful but took longer > 55 seconds whereas apigee returned 504, when i referred the documentation - http://apigee.com/docs/api-services/reference/endpoint-properties-reference for gateway timeout and checked default value for timeout io.timeout.millis is 120 seconds, in that case apigee should also have returned a success message, but it did not...can you please reconfirm if the value is 60 second or 120 second as per the documentation?

Not applicable

Yes, some of the calls will take more than 60 seconds. This is not with trail account. Org name is rewardsnetwork. We do have same issue in production. Case number is