I'm a mainframe guy. Trying to shift my career by learning Apigee

Not applicable

Hello,

I'm a mainframe developer for 8 plus years. I'm trying to work out my way from mainframe and shift my career into some thing new . I see APIGEE. I started reading through the online trainings. Can some one suggest me do I need to be strong in JavaScript . Please let me know if I need to do some home work on any other language.

Solved Solved
2 8 2,194
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Rajesh!

Welcome to the world of APIs! You are making a good choice. APIs will be the way everything connects together, as the world becomes more and more digitally-integrated.

It's not strictly necessary to know Javascript to be successful and competent using APIs, or using Apigee Edge. But, it is definitely very useful to know JavaScript.

So yes, I would say, if you want to get out of Mainframe technology and into API-related technologies, you will need to learn these basics:

1. JSON
  2. JavaScript - and really learn it. There are plenty of online courses.
  3. XML, XML Namespaces, XSL

You will also want to become comfortable using HTTP and related tools. Study up on:

1. IETF RFC 2616
  2. Google Postman
  3. Curl
  4. Firefox Firebug or Chrome Developer Tools

Beyond those, I would say you should get familiar with some more advanced topics:

1. OAuthV2 - IETF RFC 6749
  2. HMAC
  3. HTTP Signature
  4. JSON Web Token (JWT) - IETF RFC 7519

You DO NOT need to know all of these things. But these are things you might want to learn about, as you go along.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi Rajesh!

Welcome to the world of APIs! You are making a good choice. APIs will be the way everything connects together, as the world becomes more and more digitally-integrated.

It's not strictly necessary to know Javascript to be successful and competent using APIs, or using Apigee Edge. But, it is definitely very useful to know JavaScript.

So yes, I would say, if you want to get out of Mainframe technology and into API-related technologies, you will need to learn these basics:

1. JSON
  2. JavaScript - and really learn it. There are plenty of online courses.
  3. XML, XML Namespaces, XSL

You will also want to become comfortable using HTTP and related tools. Study up on:

1. IETF RFC 2616
  2. Google Postman
  3. Curl
  4. Firefox Firebug or Chrome Developer Tools

Beyond those, I would say you should get familiar with some more advanced topics:

1. OAuthV2 - IETF RFC 6749
  2. HMAC
  3. HTTP Signature
  4. JSON Web Token (JWT) - IETF RFC 7519

You DO NOT need to know all of these things. But these are things you might want to learn about, as you go along.

Thanks Dino and sarthak. The challenge to get a new job . I see the APIGEE job requirements in the job market and all are looking for people who are strong in Java and then have APIGEE Experience. In such cases, how am I supposed to plan myself. As you people suggested, If I picked javscript and the courses mentioned, still to find a job as a APIGEE consultant they are looking for Java. Help me in setting a path so that I can plan my self in that part and end up in working as an APIGEE consultant

@Rajesh , I would suggest Apigee Certification if you interested towards Apigee Technologies. You might need to go through & learn apigee technology to clear same. It's a great way to get started and will help you a lot in becoming Apigee Consultant. You might need to go through docs, video tutorials, practical knowledge of Apigee platform before you actually attempt certification.

Thanks Anil. Can you please elaborate on practical knowledge. I went through the APIGEE docs portal and when during the implementation I see they are looking for Java scripts. That's when I started this thread.

@Rajesh did you get a chance to explore eLearning classes on the Apigee Academy? http://academy.apigee.com/courses/elearning

I did. yes

Can I talk to you in phone so that I can get a better understanding and direction.

I think Javascript is the most important one. Because once you know javascript you can venture into node.js and UI development very easily.

But knowing other languages won't hurt as well. Languages like python or ruby or Go you can try to learn as well. But I think to get started javascript will be the best option.