Java callouts are they supported on free version

Not applicable

Hello,

I was going through apigee edge pricing & products it is mentioned that under Edge free JavaCallouts are not supported but when i tried sample proxies from Github i was able to perform the sample Java callout for Yahoo weather url. What exactly does the "No" in that column means ?

1215-apigee-products.png

Solved Solved
0 7 267
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anand Jayant Kadhi

In Edge Free you will see in the Develop view that there are no options for Java callout. We have disabled it from the UI but right now you might be able to run it if deployed via APIs.

However you should not count on it as we might completely disable it in a Free org at any future release without any prior notice. And you might find any proxy which has a Java Callout to be broken without any warning or notice.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Sarthak

View solution in original post

adas

@Anand Jayant Kadhi Just to elaborate on what Sarthak already posted. Java callout policy is not available for free Apigee Edge customers. Right now, only the option is removed from UI, but in near future we are going to remove the feature completely by adding some restrictions for free accounts.

What this means is, you could create a proxy with java callout policy by putting the jar in the resources folder, create a proxy zip and still import it via the UI. Once imported, you can also deploy it via the UI. You should be able to modify the source for the java callout and redeploy with the new jar and it would still work. But like said before, do not count on it as its going to be taken off anytime without prior notice. Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@Anand Jayant Kadhi , Thank you for highlighting same. We are investigating the issue and get back to you soon.

Hi @Anand Jayant Kadhi

In Edge Free you will see in the Develop view that there are no options for Java callout. We have disabled it from the UI but right now you might be able to run it if deployed via APIs.

However you should not count on it as we might completely disable it in a Free org at any future release without any prior notice. And you might find any proxy which has a Java Callout to be broken without any warning or notice.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Sarthak

Hi @sarthak,

Got it. I was trying how it works with some custom java logic on my end, yes but i will not count on it. Can i tweak some code of the java-callout policy sample from Github for understanding purpose and test it, will it work ?

Please let me know as i want to understand the flow before i go for premium.

Yes , AFAIK it will work similarly to Edge Enterprise. You will not see the java callout option in the policy editor UI though.

@Anand Jayant Kadhi , Yes, Please go ahead and test it with your custom logic.

adas

@Anand Jayant Kadhi Just to elaborate on what Sarthak already posted. Java callout policy is not available for free Apigee Edge customers. Right now, only the option is removed from UI, but in near future we are going to remove the feature completely by adding some restrictions for free accounts.

What this means is, you could create a proxy with java callout policy by putting the jar in the resources folder, create a proxy zip and still import it via the UI. Once imported, you can also deploy it via the UI. You should be able to modify the source for the java callout and redeploy with the new jar and it would still work. But like said before, do not count on it as its going to be taken off anytime without prior notice. Hope this helps.