Question about Apigee Edge setup with having NAT between data centers

Not applicable

I have a question on IP address management between two or more data center setup for Private Cloud Apigee Edge, BaaS and DevPortal. Each data centers have a set of Edge/BaaS/DevPortal and they are clustered among DCs with replication of data in Cassandra and SQL DBs. I would like to know what happens, if we have a NAT between DCs to convert private/public IPs without touching port numbers. So, inside DC communications are done by private IP and DC external hosts are accessed by public ip. This can be the case with using public or private cloud infra. In such a case does the ip address information on ZK and CS ring just work fine, only if we use FQDN/DNS and each host can be reachable by it's FQDN? And are there any considerations to have in mind for installation/configuration?

Solved Solved
1 4 554
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable

I don't think this will work (at least not easily) but off the top of my head I'd be concerned with the registration of IPs at setup time.

Some services make an initial connection only to agree to *spawn* new connections on both ends and on random ports. My question would be how that agreement takes place and whether they would be aware of the NAT-address in lieu of their real address.

-----

Now, if everything resolves via hostnames instead of IPs you may be able to get this to work, but I think it would be a mess of /etc/hosts updates to get it all sqaured.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Not applicable

I don't think this will work (at least not easily) but off the top of my head I'd be concerned with the registration of IPs at setup time.

Some services make an initial connection only to agree to *spawn* new connections on both ends and on random ports. My question would be how that agreement takes place and whether they would be aware of the NAT-address in lieu of their real address.

-----

Now, if everything resolves via hostnames instead of IPs you may be able to get this to work, but I think it would be a mess of /etc/hosts updates to get it all sqaured.

Hello @Geir Sjureseth,

Thank you so much for your answer that is very helpful. Might be I cannot fully understand your points, but I just thought as FQDN is also supported in Apigee Edge, so if the required ip can be just looked up with the host name by self-registered ip on DNS not by each /etc/hosts file, it could be possible without much efforts. I guess the situation will not be so simple on using addresses in VMs or containers on guest OS on a VM or physical machine or virtual ethernet/bridge interface as well as clustered network, etc. So, I would really appreciate it, if some sample implementation of Apigee Edge installation for the above case are shared for our reference.

Regards,

Toshi

Yes, absolutely, and I think you understood me perfectly 🙂 I'm just pointing out that if there are NAT:ed addresses between the machines then you have to have /etc/hosts entries on both ends of that NAT:ed connection with the appropriate info.

Thank you for the clarification and advices.