Multiple Inboxes For One User

I am trying to understand the best way to manage multiple domains and inboxes within a single Workspace account. I have a Workspace in which users are under one company user@company1.com  or  user@company2.com which is easy enough, but the owner wants to have both emails as separate inboxes (not aliased.) Is there a way to do this in which he can have a single identity for both? I looked at group mailboxes and delegated access and both didn't seem the right fit. I can set up two users with the same password, but that doesn't seem best practice from a security standpoint. 

1 6 1,567
6 REPLIES 6

Couldn't you just use a rule that mail to X@companyB goes to a different folder called Inbox2 -KAM

In conjunction with this, you can select the multiple inboxes mailbox type in Gmail to virtualize two mailboxes with one user and multiple aliases.

Two user accounts, with two sets of credentials, and separate calendars, contact lists, meeting links, etc feels like undue complexity and costs for one person - but if you insist on going this route, I don't see why delegated mailbox can't work.

Thanks for the feedback and I agree managing separate calendars, contact lists, meetings does seem overly complex, but I think modern email clients can make this easier in which you can overlay email accounts on top of each other. 

Thanks for the suggestion. This was the route I initially was going down but was giving requirements that these two properties need to be able to be easily separated from each other down the road. I think having separate inboxes makes that more possible. 

A Google Workspace user gets one "physical" (in lack of better terms) inbox. You can't have more. If you want multiple "physical" inboxes, you need multiple different accounts (you could share all of them with one account through delegation). 

I would choose the route that @KAM suggested above. Alias email > Filter > Apply "Inbox2" label. 

Makes sense. I have come to the conclusion that you shared. Although it would be nice if google allowed a single identity to move between workspace accounts. Thanks!

Top Solution Authors