Buy personal cloud space from company subscribe.

Our company choose Workspace Business Starter,but we only have certain units that have high cloud drive space usage requirements.
Previously, it was possible to purchase space for personal use separately, but now the function is indicated by customer service that the service has been removed.
Is it possible to restore this service.
If the plan is upgraded to Business Standard, it will become too much waste of resources.

0 5 265
5 REPLIES 5

Customer service indicated that meaning that is what Workspace support (https://support.google.com/a/answer/1047213) told you? I know the article about Business Starter and allowing admins to turn over the power of purchasing storage to the end users now redirects to an article about the editions that use pooled storage. I am personally trying to find out myself (by contacting the Workspace Admin and Gmail Google Product Experts) if the process was discontinued since three months ago, https://support.google.com/a/answer/1047457?hl=en did not redirect over to another Workspace admin article. 
I know that Google can remove services and not reinstate them and also sometimes they can remove things or change things around without informing users first (or if they had tried to inform them first, they didn't do a very good job of it honestly). 

Hello!

Unfortunately,  it's not possible to buy aditional storage anymore.

If you have business starter and need more space, you will have to upgrade.

Pooled storage always existed, but it's only used to shared services, like shared drives.

Shared drive always will use the pooled storage.

You can't increase someone storage using storage limits configuration. You can only limit user's storage.

Screenshot_39.png

Screenshot_37.png

We had the free edition of GSuite and is for personal use (family) where some of us had purchased storage individually for the year.  With google's notice that they were eliminating the free GSuite, we ended up upgrading to the paid (after convincing the family to pay up) which they made free for us for a couple of months.  They then said if you're using it for personal only, that you could revert back to a free "Standard" edition which is only 30gb/user and not shared.  The users that had previously paid for 100gb actually still have that storage and subscription active so they currently have 130gb on our "free" standard edition.  Unfortunately for me, I was paying monthly for 1TB and canceled that after going to the paid edition since we had more than enough pooled storage.  On 7/19/2022 I was able to chat with their support and they said by the end of July we should be able to purchase individual storage again and I'd get a message about in our admin console.  It's now almost the end of August and I haven't seen any such message.  There's a link to "purchase" more storage when I log into drive, since I'm now over my limit.  But it just takes me to a usage page w/ no option to buy.  Does anyone know if they're still planning on offering the option to purchase individual storage again?  Since then, I can no longer open a support ticket since we're on the "free" version.

I've been in the process of moving everything to iCloud Drive and Amazon photos since I can no longer upload anything and if they don't offer ability to purchase storage, we may migrate everything to another platform if we have to "pay" anyway.  They prob would prefer this and remove the burden of "free" accounts I assume.  Just unfortunate as it's a pretty good service.

I'm in the same boat as you are, unfortunately that's the way it is with Google. I am almost certain that any Workspace Edition won't allow individual increase of storage, to top it off it is now even worse considering that one cannot promote an individual account to Business Standard to make use of the 2TB, it's either all or none.

Would be great to hear other stories and any possible way forward.

Storage, unfortunately, is one of the most expensive options a cloud provider can offer. It costs a lot of money, and also a lot of room (hard drives are still clunky, large, eat a ton of energy). 

Business Starter is an entry-level plan designed for very small companies who only need a limited amount of storage and features. It has many more limitations compared to Business Standard, not just storage. Your best option is to move to Business Standard if you require more storage.