Why can I not get access to the benefits of my paid personal subscriptions on a workplace account?

Point of discussion: If I pay for Google Services on my personal account, why can I not access the benefits of my paid personal subscriptions on a workplace account?

I don't believe this is that hard to implement, but if I'm paying for Premium Google services on my personal account, there should be a way to allow those paid features to be utilized on my workspace account (even with limitations to avoid abuse). Seems to me it's just a matter of verifying you are the person who owns the account with the purchased privileges and giving the green-light on the workplace account. It's annoying enough to have to sit through ads when I want to view "Youtube Academy" to learn a skill, do my job, etc. that I chose to pay to be rid of them on my personal account in the first place.

I can understand the business case here where Google may want to charge the entity that is signing up for the workspace (insert company you work for here), but if allowances are made for those who already pay for the service, this addition wouldn't preclude or adversely affect the likelihood of a company to want to invest in that higher tier of purchase plan to give the benefits of the paid package as the baseline for all users.

This seems very much like double-dipping in a sense and the current workaround of just having 2 Chrome instances with different profiles open simultaneously works well enough, but I don't feel like I should have to utilize a workaround to access the services I pay for. I want to have my personal account separated from my workplace for privacy reasons; I create my own IP and I don't want to be potentially entangled in the mess of IP separation that comes with working in tech. This could even be viewed as a form of security; knowing people are likely resorting to this workaround, this knowingly,  literally doubles the likelihood of allowing a data breach to occur from the use and management of 2 separate accounts and at least doubles the number of casualties in the modern-day eventuality that a data breach occurs on the workplace side.  

There's plenty of manual options here to do the things that I want (ie. make a separate, personal, account for the stuff I want to protect and not tie it to anything), but let's be real, the ease of streamlined accounts and the time/energy it takes to filter multiple accounts, etc. is unnecessarily difficult in this day and age and the expectation of such ease of information accessibility makes the manual route a non-starter, when literally the smallest act on Google's part to add an obvious feature such as this would garner so much more in goodwill and public favor.

Apologies for the length. This started with something that minorly inconvenienced and irked me, but I felt the need to get it all out there. Thanks for hanging in there to read it all! 

0 1 129
1 REPLY 1

Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Shinnran,

Thank you for raising this issue in the Google Cloud Community. We understand your frustration with the current limitations in accessing paid Google services across personal and Workspace accounts. Your suggestion to connect the two is indeed logical and resonates with many users.

Unfortunately, while many Google products share a similar look and feel, Google Workspace accounts and personal Google accounts are distinct entities with separate data storage, authentication methods, purchase histories, and overall management systems.

Additionally, another key barrier to your suggestion is that Google Workspace accounts are owned and managed by our customers, not directly by Google. Each organization has unique security protocols that dictate what information can be shared between personal and commercial Google accounts, including subscriptions.

Potential Workarounds:

• MultipleChrome Profiles: Use different Chrome profiles to switch between your accounts, allowing you to access benefits like YouTube Premium on your personal profile while using your Workspace profile for work.
  • Content Sharing: Some services like YouTube Premium Family Plan allow for sharing benefits with other family members, which could include your Workspace account if eligible.

We value your feedback and will definitely share your concerns and proposed solution with our product teams for their consideration.

Top Labels in this Space