The SecOps Community is joining the Google Cloud Community

Willie_Turney
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Cloud Security Community!

Willie here ๐Ÿ‘‹ I wanted to check in since we shared in a previous announcement that your Community will have a new home beginning September 25, 2023. 

Iโ€™m thankful to many of you for taking the time to meet with me and the Community Team in the recent weeks to get to know you, learn more about why you engage in the Community today, and what youโ€™d like to see moving forward. 

Your feedback is invaluable as we continue to invest in the long-term durability and sustainability of this community and its programs - with the move to the Google Cloud Community as a positive step in that direction

I, along with my fellow Community Managers @shakedtal @Lauren_vdv and @Ray_a are excited about this change because it means:

• More efficient forum moderation and management
  • More updates from and access to the product team
  • More live events to learn from product experts and each other

In this post, weโ€™ll focus on providing answers to FAQs.

FAQs

Here, weโ€™ll outline frequently asked questions about your new Google Cloud Security Community home and provide answers to help make the transition as seamless as possible. 

If you have a question that isnโ€™t addressed below, feel free to reply to this message and weโ€™d be happy to help provide an answer.

1. When will the new Community site be live? The new Community site will be live on September 25, 2023. Please note that there will be a brief migration period beginning the evening of September 22nd, when the legacy site (where you are now) will be set to read-only. Additionally, the Slack space will no longer be available but engagement with each other and Google Cloud teams will occur in new Q&A forums. Beginning on September 25th, when you go to the legacy site link (https://secopscommunity.com), youโ€™ll be redirected to the new site and able to participate as normal.
  2. How do I log into the new site? Youโ€™ll log into the new Community site using the same email address associated with your existing SecOps Community account. From there, youโ€™ll be directed through the process to claim your migrated account and verify your email address. You can refer to this post for details, under the section โ€œInstructions if you have a legacy community account.โ€ If you already have a Google Cloud Community account, but the email associated with that account is different from your SecOps Community account, then you will need to contact the Community team at gc-customer-community@google.com for assistance
  3. What about my current profile and badges? User profiles will be migrated with the exception of badges. The new Community has its own badges, which will reward and celebrate you for your contributions and engagement, but youโ€™ll notice theyโ€™re slightly different from your existing badges. Your new badges will be applied after you log into the new Community. Please note that when you first log in, you may receive a series of notifications regarding the badges youโ€™ve earned, which are awarded to you based on previous community activity (e.g. authored posts, likes received, etc.). Youโ€™ll have the opportunity to continue earning badges and ranks based on your activity on the new Community site - and stay tuned for new and different badges coming soon! ๐Ÿ™‚
  4. What will happen to my posts on the old site? Weโ€™re migrating posts and archiving them depending on their relevance. We want to make sure that all great content is still available, but also encourage you to start new conversations. 
  5. What will happen to my existing email subscriptions? Email subscriptions will not be migrated to the new Community. After you log in, you can choose your new subscriptions to entire categories (e.g. News & Announcements), by specific labels, or even individual threads. More info on managing your subscriptions and notifications can be seen here.
  6. Will my bookmarks for the old site still work? Any old links will redirect to the new Community site, so all your bookmarks should still work.
  7. What will happen to the leaderboards? Your community contributions (posts, likes given and received, and solutions) will be migrated and carried forward into the Google Cloud Community ranking system. The new Community has two primary leaderboards: Top Liked Posters and Top Solution Authors.
  8. Will the Cloud Security team participate in the new Community? Yes! With this change, there will be greater investment from the Cloud Security team and the Google Cloud Community team, including engaging in the forums, hosting new events, and more.
  9. What do I do if I have troubleshooting questions? If you canโ€™t find an answer to your question in one of the above FAQs, please leave a comment below and someone from the Cloud Security or Community team will be happy to help. You can also reach out directly to the Community team at gc-customer-community@google.com

As we make this transition, weโ€™ll continue to seek your feedback to improve the Community experience and help you achieve your goals with Cloud Security. 

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to seeing you all on the new site soon!

The Google Cloud Community team

3 3 657
3 REPLIES 3

Lauren_vdv
Community Manager
Community Manager

Excited for this - thanks @Willie_Turney!

This looks nice

Excited to have a central place for the security community!