Unable to connect to my new domain on https

I am new to hosting a website. I have purchased a new domain through Cloud Domains and trying to host a webpage that is uploaded to Cloud Storage bucket via. Load Balancing enabled with an SSL Certificate.

I am unable to connect to my domain from the web browser and see this below message.
This site can't provide a secure connection
www.thegreysponge.com uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Below are the steps I have followed to configure and host the page on Google Cloud.
# Created the domain through Cloud Domains
nagaraju_mudunu_0-1713412384870.png

# Created a new DNS Zone for the NS and SOA types and linked the zone to the above domain.nagaraju_mudunu_1-1713412860376.png

# Create Cloud Storage bucket and uploaded my web page to the bucket while providing global access.

# Configured Load Balancing with a new Google Managed certificate created for the below two domains for the Frontend along with the creation of an IP address, while linking the backend to the Storage bucket created in the above step.
    thegreysponge.com
    www.thegreysponge.com

# Configured the below two A type records mapping to the IP Address created during the above Load Balancing step under the Cloud DNS along side to the existing NS and SOA types.
nagaraju_mudunu_2-1713413303426.png

# Upon waiting for the certificate provisioning to be completed, I finally see this FAILED_NOT_VISIBLE under the domain status.
nagaraju_mudunu_3-1713413400169.png

Now I see the FAILED_NOT_VISIBLE domain status on the SSL certificate along with the ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH at the client side.

I have spent a good number of hours trying to resolve with various solutions offered online but didn't help much.
Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards!

Solved Solved
1 5 254
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @nagaraju_mudunu,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

FAILED_NOT_VISIBLE error means that there is a misconfiguration with your DNS A and AAAA records. This indicates that the  domain (thegreysponge.com) does not resolve to your load balancer's IP address.

Instead, try updating your DNS with the following configuration:

Record 1:
DNS Name: thegreysponge.com
Resource record type: A
IP Address: Load balancer's IP address

Record 2:
DNS Name: www.thegreysponge.com
Resource record type: CNAME
Canonical name: thegreysponge.com

Please bear in mind that sometimes propagation across the internet takes up to 72 hours.

Let me know if this works on your end.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @nagaraju_mudunu,

Welcome to the Google Cloud Community!

FAILED_NOT_VISIBLE error means that there is a misconfiguration with your DNS A and AAAA records. This indicates that the  domain (thegreysponge.com) does not resolve to your load balancer's IP address.

Instead, try updating your DNS with the following configuration:

Record 1:
DNS Name: thegreysponge.com
Resource record type: A
IP Address: Load balancer's IP address

Record 2:
DNS Name: www.thegreysponge.com
Resource record type: CNAME
Canonical name: thegreysponge.com

Please bear in mind that sometimes propagation across the internet takes up to 72 hours.

Let me know if this works on your end.

Thanks for your input @Rfelizardo!
If it takes up to 72hrs, let me wait for few more hours to cross check on the existing configuration.
Will try your suggested configuration by removing the @. in the configured DNS while replacing the second www. DNS with CNAME instead of A type. 
All the DNS names include a trailing period(.) and I hope that is expected ?
Will respond back with the results, but might take a while due to the long wait of up to 72hrs 🙂
Thanks!

That worked @Rfelizardo 🙂
I am now seeing the status of the certificate as ACTIVE.nagaraju_mudunu_0-1713715976685.png

But now I see a Region Mismatch of the resource error message while accessing the URL https://www.thegreysponge.com. The web content is hosted via. the Storage Bucket in US Multiple Regions and with public view.
nagaraju_mudunu_3-1713716254610.pngnagaraju_mudunu_1-1713716181823.png
Do you have any clue on what configuration changes would this get resolved? 

The solution for the above 'RegionMismatch' error can be found here.

That worked @Rfelizardo 🙂
I am now seeing the status of the certificate as ACTIVE.

That is pleasing to hear. If it resolved your issue, you may accept this as a solution so that we can have our community members see the solution.