Automate the download of an Excel file present on SAP in Google Cloud Platform

Hello,

I was recently recruited as a data analyst intern in a luxury company and I need to automate certain fairly repetitive tasks from my internship supervisor.

Every day she goes to SAP and downloads an Excel file containing data associated with the items: item code, price, etc. She will then use this file to carry out a set of checks, but the automation of these checks will be done in a second step.

Our company is gradually migrating data to Google Cloud Platform and I was wondering if there is a SAP API or something else that I can use to grab this Excel file and store it directly in Google Cloud on a daily basis (every morning ) in Google Cloud.

If you have any advice on best practice for doing this task, I'm interested.
I went to programming school, but I am completely new to using SAP and Google Cloud.

Thanks in advance !

1 REPLY 1

Hello @Ontimeyes ,

It would be great if you can share more details, as the solution approach would change based on the nature of requirement and also on how much you intend to re-design the solution to work well from a future cloud integration perspective.

Based on the given information following are some high level discussion points for your reference:

• If you can modify the tool that downloads the Excel spreadsheet, you can use the ABAP SDK for Google Cloud to store the file in cloud storage. You can also write an ABAP program to be scheduled as a background job to push the file to cloud storage every morning. Here is a sample ABAP code template for storing a file in a bucket.
  • If you have a Google Workspace license and want to switch from Excel to Google Sheets, you can use the ABAP SDK to write to Google Sheets. This requires some coding, but there are sample code examples available. 

Note: once you install ABAP SDK, you also receive some demo programs which you can refer for sample code.

ameyasapcloud_0-1696945951467.png

The Github repository also has more examples. Thanks!