how to set alert at proxy level in apigee opdk

Hi, Floks 

i want to set up alert on apigee opdk at proxy level (not on target endpoint or a basepath) 

I am using classic UI there Is an option to alert on UI but I am not using edge UI

Thanks for any guidance or help 

@dino 

Solved Solved
0 3 471
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sure. There are different ways that customers do this in OPDK - I was only referring to the fact that we don't have a product offering in OPDK that does this out of the box. For example, I have seen customers use message logging to send information to splunk or other platforms based on error conditions encountered in the proxy flow and then use capabilities in those platforms to generate alerts but mind you in that case you would have to do most of the heavy lifting of defining and calculating the thresholds and track the violations etc. Its not quite as straight forward as what API Monitoring on SaaS makes it with state of the art infrastructure combined with data and analytics capabilities.

If you are looking at synthetic probes that can periodically invoke your proxy endpoints and alert you when failures happen, then StackDriver Uptime Checks may be an option but it wouldn't distinguish between proxy or target errors. I found this article which you might find useful but please note that its quite old:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Cloud-Product-Articles/Apigee-Edge-On-Premises-Deployment-Mo...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Setting up alerts is only supported through Apigee's API Monitoring feature which is available only on SaaS and not OPDK for Apigee Edge. I am asssuming you are referring to https://docs.apigee.com/api-monitoring

@arghyadas thanks for replying 

but there should be a way through we can monitor proxy since opdk is a very old product (how opdk customers monitor their proxy)

Sure. There are different ways that customers do this in OPDK - I was only referring to the fact that we don't have a product offering in OPDK that does this out of the box. For example, I have seen customers use message logging to send information to splunk or other platforms based on error conditions encountered in the proxy flow and then use capabilities in those platforms to generate alerts but mind you in that case you would have to do most of the heavy lifting of defining and calculating the thresholds and track the violations etc. Its not quite as straight forward as what API Monitoring on SaaS makes it with state of the art infrastructure combined with data and analytics capabilities.

If you are looking at synthetic probes that can periodically invoke your proxy endpoints and alert you when failures happen, then StackDriver Uptime Checks may be an option but it wouldn't distinguish between proxy or target errors. I found this article which you might find useful but please note that its quite old:

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Cloud-Product-Articles/Apigee-Edge-On-Premises-Deployment-Mo...