When I set up Apigee X on GCP, do I need to include the VMs for routing?

I am instantiating Apigee X on GCP; 
Is there a way to bypass VM (MIG) ? 

@dchiesa1 

Solved Solved
0 2 154
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

yes, absolutely, with a qualification: If you want to invoke the API Proxies only from inside the GCP VPC, you don't need the MIG . It looks like this:

screenshot-20220712-094957.png

Conversely, if you want to allow access from the external world (from the internet), then you need the MIG. Is there a problem? Do you dislike the MIG?

We expect to be able to remove the need for the MIG at some point in the future. But for now, you need it.

For those reading along, the MIG stands for Managed Instance Group, it refers to a set of 2 or more VMs that run iptables rules to route requests into the Apigee runtime managed by Google. The step for configuring that MIG is described here.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

yes, absolutely, with a qualification: If you want to invoke the API Proxies only from inside the GCP VPC, you don't need the MIG . It looks like this:

screenshot-20220712-094957.png

Conversely, if you want to allow access from the external world (from the internet), then you need the MIG. Is there a problem? Do you dislike the MIG?

We expect to be able to remove the need for the MIG at some point in the future. But for now, you need it.

For those reading along, the MIG stands for Managed Instance Group, it refers to a set of 2 or more VMs that run iptables rules to route requests into the Apigee runtime managed by Google. The step for configuring that MIG is described here.

No, I have nothing against the MIG.
In our current set up we use the MIG, but we had heard that we can do without them.

Thanks @dchiesa1  for your comprehensive answer.