Verify api key behavior

Created a new proxy with verify api key policy and added to the product and app. 
I tried testing with different active keys present in the org. The expectation is to throw an error when keys other than the original key are sent. But the proxy accepts all the active keys present in that env/org. Is it a right understanding?

@dino @Sai1 

0 6 270
6 REPLIES 6

Ideally it should not. Are those apps whose keys you are trying includes the API product? If yes, then its working as expected. 

Please make sure you add the proxy to the product and configure that product to the app. 

Thanks for the reply. let me add some more info to this conversation.

added my proxy to a new product and an app. Hit the endpoint with the client id. Worked successfully as expected.

I have removed the product from the app and tried hitting the same endpoint with/without the same client id.

Able to hit the endpoint successfully with the same client id even after removing the product. The expecatation is to get an error since I have removed the product from the app or the proxy accepts all client id in the org. is it a right expectation. 

@playarun93 - can you pls confirm if the VerifyAPIKey policy is executing? Can you check the calls via debug and confirm its getting executed?

I do see the VerifyAPIKey policy is executing

Able to hit the endpoint successfully with the same client id even after removing the product.

Two things:

1. If you have a client ID that has no products at all, it will be good for ALL products. It's like a "master" client id.  If you don't want that behavior, assign at least one product to a client id. 
  2. There's a cache for API key status in the runtime, it will live for about 180s. Any change that you make to a key, or an app, or a product, will not be seen by the runtime for up to 180s. Wait a bit and retry. I expect that you will see that the VerifyAPIKey policy will reject the API key if you wait long enough. (Assuming you have observed item #1 above)

@playarun93 wrote:

The expectation is to throw an error when keys other than the original key are sent.

Apigee will treat all active api keys as … active?  There is not a way to configure VerifyApiKey to verify a specific API key.  If you want to verify a specific value you would have to hard-code a Condition with the value of interest, or include some other check for proof-of-key-possession. (Like verify a signature)