Regular Expression Threat Protection against all message headers

Hi all

I would like to implement a RegexThreatProtection policy that is capable of checking all request headers as we would send them to the Target Endpoint.

I notice that we can only define headers statically in the policy:

pietjacobs_0-1672308670918.png

This would mean that we need to know each and every header that will ever be allowed through Apigee, which I think is not the best implementation...

Has anyone implemented something like this before?
I am thinking about perhaps using the Variable tag instead and just (using Javascript) parsing all request header values together into a single variable and have that checked in the regex policy.
Or can this have negative side-effects?

Curious what others think about this. Perhaps this is overkill?

0 1 126
1 REPLY 1

Perhaps this is overkill?

It depends. Not all headers need to be scanned for common attack signatures. The ModSecurity Core Rule Set will give you a good idea of what to include in your var concatenation.

Has anyone implemented something like this before?

Yes. This sample code is a bit inefficient and there's room for improvement.

var concatParams = function(paramType) {
    var paramsNames = context.getVariable("request."+paramType+"s.names").toArray();
    paramsNames.forEach(function(name){
        var paramValuesCount = context.getVariable("request."+paramType+"."+name+".values.count");
        if(paramValuesCount > 0) {
            var paramValues = context.getVariable("request."+paramType+"."+name+".values").toArray();
            paramValues.forEach(function (value){
                decodedRequest = decodedRequest.concat(' ',value);
            });
        }
    });
};

Or can this have negative side-effects?

Watch out for performance bottlenecks (greedy regex and long header values). Test your implementation at scale!