Not able to see the path/log file for the runtime component in the pod shell open (via kubectl exec)

v21
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

Hi ,

As per the below documentation, there is path/log file mentioned  for viewing logs in file system via pod shell open(kubectl exec bash) and we are not able to find it in our cluster

https://cloud.google.com/apigee/docs/hybrid/v1.9/cassandra-logs

Can anyone help to understand what are we missing.

0 10 404
10 REPLIES 10

can you try kubectl logs cmd  ? eg. 

kubectl logs -f -n hybrid cassandra-0

kubectl logs command works but need to understand  why we are not able to see the path/file: /opt/apigee/var/log/cassandra/config.log 

while inside the pod shell: kubectl exec -it -n hybrid cassandra-0 bash

I do not think it's best to build any use-case around logs file within a POD. I think we will remove that section of the documentation. Any k8s POD writes output to stdout and we let k8s handle storing the log on the VM until some agent publish it to the logging service.

Thanks for the reply.

I have one more question related to this, regarding the below documentation (step 3,4) where there should be versions.properties file under the location /opt/apigee/var/log/apigee-synchronizer which seems to be missing again in our cluster pod. 

do we have another way to check the active version of synchronizer?

can you try `/application/opt/apigee/var/log/apigee-synchronizer`. We will update the documentation.

Hi...

I can see the folder with version_no in the path:/application/opt/apigee/var/log/apigee-synchronizer but i am unable to find the file versions.properties in there. could you please guide where can we find that file?

Hi.... Any updates on the above query

what do you see in that directory ? also if you can tell us what issue you are trying to debug, we can maybe provide a better troubleshooting method. 

Hi,

As of now we are not facing any issue, we just were trying to explore the documentation for diagnosis-synchronizer-to-management-plane-problem incase if we face any issues in future. while going through it we realized that for step 3,4,5 we could not find any files under the path specified.

later as per one of the previous comment provided, we could see the contract folder names under the path: /application/opt/apigee/var/log/apigee-synchronizer.

PFB the sample:

cd /application/opt/apigee/var/log/apigee-synchronizer

ls -la

drwxr-xr-x 34 apigee apigee 4096 2023-03-16 21:00 .

drwxr-xr-x 4 apigee apigee 4096 2023-02-02 20:00 ..

drwxr-xr-x 4 apigee apigee 4096 2023-02-02 20:00 345

drwxr-xr-x 4 apigee apigee 4096 2023-02-04 20:00 346

drwxr-xr-x 4 apigee apigee 4096 2023-03-16 22:00 366

but as per step 3,4 we should also see a versions.properties in order to diagnose the issue in future if this pop's up. we are not able to find that path.

Hi @kidiyoor ,

Awaiting for your inputs on the above.