New tool for Apigee X proxy templating

Automating the creation and deployment of Apigee X proxies is a common topic for API teams, to enable API producers to publish their APIs to the platform through an automated pipeline using pre-defined templates.  This can be a simplified configuration file that's easier for teams to deliver and maintain, or an OpenAPI spec that contains all of the API details, and should be converted and deployed to a proxy when a new version is pushed out.

Because Apigee programmable proxies are packaged as ZIP bundles of configuration and code, we can easily automated their creation through any manner of scripts or code.

A new Node.js project, Apigee Templater, provides a framework for this templating, just released to the Apigee GitHub org here: https://github.com/apigee/apigee-templater.  The tool provides a Node.js module that does the templating and can be customized as needed with plugins, as well as a CLI, web frontend and web service that can be deployed as input channels for the templating and deployment. This makes it easy to reach teams where they are most comfortable and productive to update their APIs, without having to access the Apigee UI or APIs directly to automate their deployments.

Sample web frontend to generate and update a proxy.Sample web frontend to generate and update a proxy.

Another tool that was also recently added to the Apigee Github org is apigeecli, which can also help with this task, specifically if OpenAPI specs are the preferred input format (besides providing import/export for all kinds of Apigee X data, it can also deploy proxies directly based on OpenAPI spec inputs to the CLI).

Whether a Node.js module, CLI or web frontend is your preferred channel should depend on your API producers, and how to make the publishing and update process as seamless and automatic as possible.  Do you have specific use-cases around automation and templating, or ideas on how to make these tools better?  Reach out here or in the Github repos directly.

3 2 764
2 REPLIES 2

That's what I was looking for!

I’ve decided to re-visit Google documentation for Apigee & briefly google for reflecting events for the new proxy creations in the GitLab. At first look, things have not changed since my latest search a few months ago.

And I came across this post 🙂 

Thanks a lot, 

BR, Optimism 🙂

Thanks, glad it's useful, just reach out in the repo with any ideas or improvements.