Java Callout support in different Apigee distributions

Hey,
We developed a Java Callout Policy in Apigee X and it all works great.
I was wondering in which other distributions of Apigee (Apigee Hybrid, Apigee Edge for Public Cloud, Apigee Edge for Private Cloud) this Callout would work.
I tried to look at the docs but couldn't find a documentation specifying where it should be supported.
I created a freemium account in Apigee Edge for Public cloud, and I noticed Java Callout was not supported, not sure if the reason is the freemium account or it is really not supported.

To summarise my questions are:
1. Is Java Callout supported on Apigee Hybrid, Apigee Edge for Public Cloud, Apigee Edge for Private Cloud?
2. Would all of these distribution have the same flow variables and API? Should I test each and every one of them or in case the Java Callout works on one of them it will work just the same on others.

Thanks in advance,
Amit Marx

2 REPLIES 2

The programming model for Java Callout is the same across all Apigee flavours.

Apigee X or Apigee Edge are more restrictive in terms of JVM Security configuration. Effectively that means, if your Java Callout works in X, will work in Edge. it will definitely work in Hybrid or Private Cloud.

There might be a potential difference between jar versions of different libraries if you do rely on them. The only way to validate if the callout works, is to run it in your target runtimes.

https://cloud.google.com/apigee/docs/api-platform/develop/how-create-java-callout#whenshouldiuseajav...

a freemium account in Apigee Edge for Public cloud
 I noticed Java Callout was not supported

The Java callout is not support in Edge UI, but you still can use API to deploy jars and/or proxies with Java Callouts.

This is great news, thanks @yuriyl