Issue with Oauth 2 token generation with scopes in apigee x

Hello everybody,

I have a problem when the access token is generated in a hybrid apigee x using oauth 2, let me explain:

I have 1 product with 2 comma-separated scope (read,write) and one API added at: 

jhernandezsps_0-1672427836752.png

I created a Proxy API to generate a client_credentials token using scopes.

Policy configuration:

jhernandezsps_7-1672428750082.png

When a token is required with a read scope, I get a token for that one successfully:

Scope header sent in by client: 

jhernandezsps_4-1672428647854.png

Response:

jhernandezsps_1-1672428268636.png

However, when I require scope for second scope write, metadata response generates an access token for no scope at all.

Scope header sent over by client: 

jhernandezsps_5-1672428692725.png

Response:

jhernandezsps_2-1672428425157.png

Same result with both spaced scopes:

Scope header sent by client: 

jhernandezsps_6-1672428713837.png

Response:

jhernandezsps_3-1672428608419.png

I don't know if the issue has to do with a problem with the product configuration or anything else.

Best Regards.

1 1 158
1 REPLY 1

I'm sorry about the delay in response here. I've been on holiday and I'm not sure why no-one else responded. 

I am not certain, but I think I may have reproduced the issue you are seeing.  If I am correct, i  seems like a bug in the UI that is misleading you.  

You've shown a snapshot the "Allowed Oauth scopes" field. Thanks, that that's helpful.  I tried your basic scenario in my own organization, and did not see the results you reported. In other words, it works just as I would expect: supposing I have a product with "READ,WRITE" scope, when I request a token with READ scope, I get a token with READ.  When I request a token with WRITE scope, I get a token with WRITE scope. And I can get a token with both scopes, too.  It all just works. 

Then I looked a little more closely at the screensnap you provided. It looks like this; 

shot1.png

Looking a little more closely, I wondered if there was a leading space in that text field, and if it was not being properly stripped. When I fill out the form on my UI with no leading space, it looks like this (I added the red line to help visualize alignment):

shot3.png

When I fill out the form and purposely add a leading space, I get this: 

shot2.png

A slight difference. Sure enough, when I use the leading space and then save the product, and query it using the apigee API, I get this: 

{
  "name": "New-Product-A",
  "displayName": "New-Product-A",
  "approvalType": "auto",
  "attributes": [
    {
      "name": "access",
      "value": "public"
    }
  ],
  "environments": [
    "eval"
  ],
  "scopes": [
    " write",
    "read"
  ],
  "createdAt": "1670022064430",
  "lastModifiedAt": "1673552309434",

As you can see, I've saved a scope with a leading space. That shouldn't happen. That's a bug, in the UI and in the management API - both should reject the leading space.  (internal reference: b/265321035)

But when I try to use THIS product, then I cannot get a token with the "write" scope.  If I then modify the product to omit the leading space, I can generate a token with the "write" scope. 

Let me know if this helps you.