Is there any way for class edge ui to use nodejs code?

Hi Community,

I'm looking for information about node.js and I've found that Trireme-based Node.js is End of Life in apigee.

They said "We deprecated traditional Node.js support in favor of Hosted Targets", So I found out about it until I found this link (hosted-targets-tutorials) but I can't follow this tutorial because I'm using Classic Edge UI.

Is there any way for Classic Edge UI to use Hosted Target when new proxy? or I wouldn't able to use node.js code ?

Please give me advice, Thank you.

0 1 69
1 REPLY 1

You are catching up!

The in-process Trireme-based support for nodejs ended some time ago, maybe 3 years ago? And at that time we suggested to people to use "Hosted Targets". That is now also deprecated, in favor of ... hosting your logic in one of the main tenants of Google Cloud - like Cloud Run, or Cloud Functions, or App Engine.

Stepping back, when we introduced the support for Trireme-based nodejs "targets" in Apigee proxies, we were an independent company, and were looking for a way to allow people to build proxies and logic easily. That's what the original trireme support aimed at. Since then Apigee was acquired by Google (2016), and of course that opened up lots of new opportunities and better options for hosting application logic. Consequently, we have strongly encouraged people to take advantage of the logic hosting options that Google provides. If you're not using the Apigee that is hosted for you in Google Cloud (WHY NOT?) , then you may not want to use Google Cloud Functions or Google Cloud Run or Google App Engine for your nodejs logic. In that case you could use a different cloud provider to host that nodejs logic, or host it yourself in your own VMs or in your own Kubernetes cluster, etc.

I wouldn't able to use node.js code ?

You can host your application logic in one of the systems that is built to hosting your own logic. Hosting nodejs logic within Apigee proxies is a pattern we no longer support.