Importing API proxy from Edge to Dev Portal

anton

I defined a new API proxy in the Edge website.

1. How do I make it visible in the Dev Portal?

2. When I change the API definitions in the Edge website, will the changes become visible in the Portal?

3. How do I disable the default APIs (e.g. hello world) that came with the Portal by default?

BTW, your "minimum 60 characters" thing is buggy, I had 312 chars in this message and still got the error.

Thanks,

Anton.

Solved Solved
0 3 1,001
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anton+Bar , Great Questions,

API Docs & API Products are two different things. Some overlap exist between them but you manage them differently.

Original spec that you have imported into Apigee contains information about your target server but not the API you are exposing from Apigee. For example, It might not contain the new error codes, end points, API resources etc..

API Proxy contains some metadata but not the runtime information like request & response. API Product is a package of certain APIs that you would like your developer subscribe to. You can find more about API Product here.

For example,

Google Maps might contain ton of APIs & You can't give individual access to developers. You will package them as needed & publish them as API product which developer will subscribe to. Sometimes, You might want to mix & match the APIs to create an API Product to solve your business needs. You can find more about API Product here.

Also, API Products might give you access to different environments where APIs are deployed. API docs generally you will point to the sandbox environment.

Regarding, API Smartdocs, We made it flexible so that you can renders docs & categorize them independent of API Proxies, Products, Environments. Actually, You can publish any API using Apigee Smartdocs not specific to APIs hosted on Apigee platform.

Yes, You need another version of OpenAPI Spec. We do have some open source tools to automate the process. For more details refer this article here that talks about tools & plugins. Also, APIs for publishing smartdocs. You can also use SpecGen to generate OpenAPI spec if you have an API ready.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted if any.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Anton+Bar ,

You mean publishing API Docs ? Or Publishing APIs as API products in developer portal where developers can subscribe to an API while registering their apps in developer portal ? Or Both ?

Can you clarify what exactly you mean "Importing API proxy from Edge to Dev Portal" ?

I mean both, although I'm not entirely sure I fully understand the reason for the separation between them. I need to publish the APIs with their Docs for the developers to subscribe to them when they register they apps.

Here's what I did and what I want to do:

• I have defined our API in Apigee Enterprise via preparing and importing an OpenAPI spec file. Lets call it Spec A.
  • Now the API appears in Apigee Enterprise and everything seems to be OK.
  • What I need now is to publish it in the Dev Portal so it would appear on our API page (http://dev-freightosdp.devportal.apigee.io/apis - note it's all temporary including design and marketing copy).

Should I now create another version of the OpenAPI spec, now using Apigee URL as the host - let's call it Spec B, and import Spec B in the Dev Portal SmartDocs, or is there any way to automate the whole process I described here?

Is there any better way of managing this?

Thanks,

Anton.

@Anton+Bar , Great Questions,

API Docs & API Products are two different things. Some overlap exist between them but you manage them differently.

Original spec that you have imported into Apigee contains information about your target server but not the API you are exposing from Apigee. For example, It might not contain the new error codes, end points, API resources etc..

API Proxy contains some metadata but not the runtime information like request & response. API Product is a package of certain APIs that you would like your developer subscribe to. You can find more about API Product here.

For example,

Google Maps might contain ton of APIs & You can't give individual access to developers. You will package them as needed & publish them as API product which developer will subscribe to. Sometimes, You might want to mix & match the APIs to create an API Product to solve your business needs. You can find more about API Product here.

Also, API Products might give you access to different environments where APIs are deployed. API docs generally you will point to the sandbox environment.

Regarding, API Smartdocs, We made it flexible so that you can renders docs & categorize them independent of API Proxies, Products, Environments. Actually, You can publish any API using Apigee Smartdocs not specific to APIs hosted on Apigee platform.

Yes, You need another version of OpenAPI Spec. We do have some open source tools to automate the process. For more details refer this article here that talks about tools & plugins. Also, APIs for publishing smartdocs. You can also use SpecGen to generate OpenAPI spec if you have an API ready.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted if any.