How to write to a Local file(.csv) from Node.JS Proxy

Not applicable

Hi,

I have a scenario: Convert the JSON into CSV and write the output to a local .CSV File.

For the above scenario I have created a proxy of type node.js and imported the 2 npm modules

1) jscon2csv

2)fs

my main .js file code is as below,

var json2csv = require('json2csv');
var fs = require('fs');
var express = require('express')
var app = express()
app.post('/convertJsonToCSV', function(req,res){
var fields = ['car', 'price', 'color'];
var myCars = [
  {
    "car": "Audi",
    "price": 40000,
    "color": "blue"
  }, {
    "car": "BMW",
    "price": 35000,
    "color": "black"
  }, {
    "car": "Porsche",
    "price": 60000,
    "color": "green"
  }
];
var csv = json2csv({ data: myCars, fields: fields });
fs.writeFile('D:\Ravi\file.csv', csv, function(err) {
  if (err) throw err;
  console.log(csv);
   res.send("done");
});
});
app.listen(3000);

I could see the converted csv output in the trace but not sure how to create a .CSV file in my local file system. Please suggest.

Regards

Ravi

0 5 11.6K
5 REPLIES 5

Please have a look at Understanding Edge support for Node.js modules, there are some restrictions on Node.js, in particular:

• Filesystem access is restricted to the directory where the Node.js script was launched: the /resources/node directory. Node.js scripts can read and write files within this directory, for instance as a temporary scratch area, but there are no guarantees as to how long the files will persist.

Cheers,

Deb

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the reply.

I went through the link you have given above and you are right file system access is restricted.

If I want to write to a file in /resources/node directory also it is not working.

Since I can't have a file of type .CVS in node directory, I have created a file Script-1.js only and trying to write the content to it.

PFB my updated code.

var json2csv = require('json2csv');
var fs = require('fs');
var express = require('express')
var apigee = require('apigee-access');
var app = express()
app.post('/convertJsonToCSV', function(req,res){
var fields = ['car', 'price', 'color'];
var myCars = [
  {
    "car": "Audi",
    "price": 40000,
    "color": "blue"
  }, {
    "car": "BMW",
    "price": 35000,
    "color": "black"
  }, {
    "car": "Porsche",
    "price": 60000,
    "color": "green"
  }
];
var csv = json2csv({ data: myCars, fields: fields });
apigee.setVariable('CSVData',csv);
fs.writeFile('Script-1.js', csv, function(err) {
  if (err) throw err;
  console.log(csv);
   res.send("done");
});
});
app.listen(3000);

I could see the converted CSV content in Trace but along with it I am getting error as below,

*** Starting script Error: request must be a valid HTTP request at /organization/environment/api/node_modules/apigee-access/lib/index.js:129 at /organization/environment/api/index.js:25 at handle (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95) at next (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/route.js:137) at dispatch (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/route.js:112) at handle (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95) at /organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:281 at process_params (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:335) at next (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:275) at expressInit (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/middleware/init.js:40) at handle (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95) at trim_prefix (/organizat ion/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:317) at /organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:284 at process_params (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:335) at next (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:275) at query (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/middleware/query.js:45) at handle (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/layer.js:95) at trim_prefix (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:317) at /organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:284 at process_params (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:335) at next (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:275) at handle (/organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/router/index.js:174) at handle (/organization/environment/api/nod e_modules/express/lib/application.js:174) at /organization/environment/api/node_modules/express/lib/express.js:39 at emit (events.js:98) at adaptorhttp.js:540 at domain.js:183 at domain.js:123 at adaptorhttp.js:539 at adaptorhttp.js:649 *** Starting script *** Starting script *** Starting script
enforcement request
internal false
ScriptName index.js
type ScriptExecutor

Hi Ravi,

I think the error might be caused because there is a missing argument in the call to apigee.setVariable. You need to add the HTTPRequest object as the first argument. In your case it would be:

apigee.setVariable(req,'CSVData',csv); 

Try to strip down your code to the basics (ie: writing a file) and then build from there.

The following code works for me:

var http = require('http');

console.log('node.js application starting...');

var svr = http.createServer(function(req, resp) {
	var fs = require('fs');
	var apigee = require('apigee-access');
	var myStr = "Hi there!";
	fs.writeFile('temp.txt', myStr, function(err) {
	  if (err) throw err;
	  console.log("Wrote file");
	  data = fs.readFileSync('temp.txt');
	  console.log("Read from file");
	  myResponse = "These are the contents of file temp.txt: " + data;
          apigee.setVariable(req, 'myVar',myResponse);
	  console.log("Set variable myVar");
	  console.log("About to send response = " + myResponse);
          resp.end(myResponse);
	});

});

svr.listen(9000, function() {
	console.log('Node HTTP server is listening');
});

PS: I don't think json2csv is a supported package. You'll probably need to change the file format, or find another workaround (eg: send a request to a backend endpoint that can do the conversion and writing in the final destination directory for you. This is probably the cleanest way to do it)

Hope this helps

Hi Deb,

Thank you for the reply,

I tried with your code and I could see the output in trace but again 'temp.txt' file is not getting created.

I refreshed the proxy, undeployed it and re-deployed still I don't get the file in any of the folders in edge.

Hi Ravi, please note that the code is actually returning the content of the file in the response, so the file exists (if even for a little bit). You can try changing the fs.readFileSync to fs.readdirSync(".") to convince yourself.

As the documentation notes, there is no guarantee on how long the file will exist for, so I still think that your best option is to delegate the actual conversion and file writing to a backend endpoint via a service callout, if necessary.