How to implement Mutual SSL/TLS in Apigee X for Northbound

What is the recommend way of implementing Mutual SSL in Apigeex for northbound

Since there is no option in Apigee to upload the Certs for the Northbound side(Like virtual Host in the classic)

Also Google Documentation says GCP loadbalancers doesnt support Mutual TLS

What is the recommended pattern here?

1 2 727
2 REPLIES 2

Sorry about no answer to this older question. I'll answer it now in hopes it will help a future reader.

It is true that GCP HTTP load balancers do not support Mutual TLS. Per the documentation,

no-mutual-TLS.png

I understand that there is a goal to support mutual TLS in the HTTP Load Balancer, but I am not part of the load balancing team, and I don't know when that might get delivered. In the meantime you can refer here for a guide on how to perform 2-way TLS authentication for inbound/northbound connections in Apigee X.  This approach uses GCP TCP Load Balancers (not HTTP).  It reserves the task of TLS termination to a set of proxy VMs that you configure and manage on your own.  

In the future ,when the GCP HTTP global load balancer supports mutual TLS, you can swap out your proxy VMs for the managed service.

Amazing tutorial! This is exactly the type of post we like to see on the tutorials board!