How to decide how many message processors or cassandra nodes are required in a Deployment architecture?

Not applicable

How do I decide whether Message processors should be on 2 virtual nodes or three?

Similarly how do I decide whether Zookeeper / Cassandra should be on 3 or 4 nodes?

Solved Solved
1 3 828
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not applicable

Hi Ajit,

The topic is covered in detail as part of Ops Training but we have available information in the form of eBooks, videos and articles.

https://pages.apigee.com/ebook-digital-ready-it-an-api-platform-story-reg.html?int_source=resources-...

http://apigee.com/about/resources

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Not applicable

Hi Ajit,

Zookeeper

Zookeeper utilizes a leader election mechanism. The minimum installation (beside all-in-one/single node) of Private Cloud will use 3 Zookeeper processes. After 3, additional Zookeepers are be added due to high availability requirements in multi-region (multi-DC) installations.

We recommend colocating Zookeeper and Cassandra so from than point of view, most customer have the same number of Zookeeper than Cassandra.

Zookeeper is only used for configuration and management. It doesn't plays a role during runtime traffic.

Cassandra

Routers, Message Processors and Cassandra are the three components on the critical path. Meaning, they actively participate on runtime API traffic.

Edge uses replication factor 3 for Cassandra, so 3 nodes are required on the minimum installation (beside all-in-one/single node). Additional Cassandra nodes can be added based on requirements. When expanding the cluster we normally double its size, meaning if you have 3 nodes you will add 3 more. This allows you to keep a balanced ring.

What requirements play a role in Cassandra capacity planning?

Among others:

• TPS: How much traffic is your installation sized for.
  • Policies type: Edge provides two family of policies. A) policies that don’t need to store any data. i.e. JSON-XML and b) policies that generate and/or retrieve data from Cassandra. i.e. Oauth. The number of policies (B) used in your proxies drives Message Processor-Cassandra interaction.
  • Storage: Cassandra is designed to scale horizontally. Depending on your storage needs, the way to add storage capacity will be adding new nodes to the ring.
  • Availability: Cassandra availability for local quorum operations is calculated as N/2 + 1. Where N is the number of nodes in a region. This means, in a 3 nodes installation, you can lose 1 node without impacting availability.

Message Processor

Similar to Cassandra capacity planning comment above, TPS, Proxy complexity (number and type of policies), availability and other factors drive the number of MPs.

In order to determine how many you need evaluate requirements such as:

• Current and expected (next 18 months) TPS
    • Average TPS
    • Peak TPS
    • Peaks duration and/or characteristics of any seasonality they may experience or expect in their API traffic.
  • Availability and resiliency
  • Expected number of physical installations (Apigee planets)
    • Are planets single DC, multi-DC?
    • If multi-DC, how many?
    • If multi-DC, are they going to run API traffic active/active or active/passive?
    • If one DC fails, what is the expectations for the others?, should a single DC be able to handle 100% of the API traffic?
  • SSL termination. Where it will happen?
  • Network zoning requirements.
  • Estimated average payload size
  • Proxy complexity

Please let me know if you need further assistance doing capacity planning. We will be happy to help.

I also encourage you to attend Apigee Private Cloud Operational Training, this hands-on training covers all the items above and a lot more.

Thank you Maudrit for your valuable inputs. Is there a apigee document or user guide which covers this information?

I will see if I can attend the training.

Regards

Ajit

Not applicable

Hi Ajit,

The topic is covered in detail as part of Ops Training but we have available information in the form of eBooks, videos and articles.

https://pages.apigee.com/ebook-digital-ready-it-an-api-platform-story-reg.html?int_source=resources-...

http://apigee.com/about/resources